Paging Bob Coiro

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Paging Bob Coiro
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

I know how much you love running board tool boxes, especially the style shown below.

Picked up this "Standard" battery box at an estate sale this morning. The seller thought it was for storing paper files.

Original paint - possibly new old stock as it looks like it has never been on a car. Will look even nicer after I wash, polish and wax it.

Erik in Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

Wow, you really scored! _That size of running-board box is very rare and to find one in such good shape is even rarer. _Mine is an exact clone of yours. _It's a good, strong, well-made box with a solid latch. _If yours came with a working key, you're double-blessed.

Because they leave plenty of foot room on the running-board, these boxes give the appearance of being too small to be really useful, but that's not the case at all. _That box will hold all the tools, paper towels and spare parts you'll need to carry and then some.

Congratulations on a great find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Bob, did your tool box have the gas oven attachment too? :-)

Very nice clean tool box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

No, Dennis; mine is a later model. _Ford did away with gas beginning in 1919, so my running-board toolbox is electric. _Runs off the magneto. _:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

I can't cook everything on the manifold, especially when I have company….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Looks like it can't make up it mind to be on the back burner or front project!
Did you get a key? Nice tool/battery box. At the price of batteries back then it's no wonder they were kept under lock and key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

No key with this box.

However, I've been picking up extra locks - sometimes with keys - to sell to those who who need them. I'll have to see if one of those keys will fit.

Here is a sample of what I have on hand - Corbins:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Hey Steve Jelf,......if you're following this thread, I'm reminded of the fact that being the terrific "fabricator" that you are, you were working on a method of mounting a running board tool box in such a way as to be able to easily switch the tool box from one Model "T" running board to another. How'd that work out, or, did you get "sidetracked" on that project??? I still think that's a great idea, 'cause you and I both have a common problem,.....we both seem to have more Model "T's than Model "T" tool boxes! ......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Just take the clamps from an accordion luggage rack and bolt them to the bottom of the toolbox.

A number of people have done this - it's really slick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Thanks Erik,....if I recall correctly, that's what Steve and I and a couple others were talking about on the forum some time ago, but as "slick" as that approach is, I'm guessing that Steve Jelf might just find a way to even improve on that method! I had an idea too,....there's a security device that locks over outboard motor mounting clamps to prevent theft, and it might just be that "the jelfster, Mr. Thrifty", might just get something like that worked out too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:12 am:

Eric,
I have a long box on my 16' with a corbin lock but no key! Wouyld you sell me a matching lock and key?? Would like to be able to lock my box. I keep my jack and tools in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Warwick: In the US you can go to an antique shop and get all kinds and shapes of keys. I ask if I can take them outside and try on my tool boxes. I have never been turned down yet. One shop had a wash basin full of a hundred keys or more I just sat on the curve and tried them until I found a key that fit. One shop even had some model T ignition keys in the mix, I got them for .75 cents each.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration