Camera Mount for Driving Videos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Camera Mount for Driving Videos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

I see lots of neat Model T driving videos on Youtube, what camera mounts do you folks use to mount your camera? I'm looking for something simpler than clamping a full-blown tripod to some part of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Go Pro with a suction cup..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

I saw those, I take it the suction cup is strong and reliable enough to trust on a moving, bouncing Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Yes it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

A friend of mine ties a string around the GoPro mount and then to something above that so in case the suction cup falls lose it should catch the camera.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

I put the camera on a tripod and then lay a river rock across the center of the tripod to hold it to the floor securely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Supper strong grip to clean glass. On clean smooth paint it is as strong as your paint is adhered. Either way clean surface and suction cup is important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:42 am:

A little spit wiped around the edge of the suction cup helps too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I've never had it come off...but I do put a safety strap on it just for my own sense of security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Have you brought a camera yet Mark? I've been researching dash cams myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

I already have a Canon Power Shot A520 digital camera that can take 3 minute videos. The memory card is nearly 2 gigabytes, so I can just keep pushing the button every 3 minutes and splice the videos together if I want.

The camera has the standard 1/4-20 threaded boss in the bottom for a tripod or camera mount, hence my interest.

I went on T-bay and bought two different mounts.

The first mount is designed to clamp around bicycle handlebars so that I can take movies on bike rides if I want.

The second mount is a C-clamp mount that I can clamp onto the top of the door, a running board, or elsewhere on the car to take driving videos.

Hopefully the mounts will arrive soon so that I can test them out. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on May 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

We stuck one on the fiberglass on the rear of the boat to film water skiing and it came off. We are in the middle of a drought and the lakes are Way down. Maybe I should take a metal detector and go look for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Some of the dash cams take amazing video and are small and light so stick on and stay. GPS etc and the software is impressive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

GoPro mounted on the winshield can be hazardous- be careful!

While on a tour in KY last summer, one of my good??? prankster Model T friends turned my GoPrp around on it's mounting device while on a gas stop, which pointed the lens towards the driver instead of down the road. The camera is started by a remote which hangs on my neck. Starting & stopping is controlled by a simple push of a button on the remote. We were loading into a ferry for a trip across the river and you will see both where I'm going and where I've been- all at the same time. Reflections on the windshield show where I'm going.

I have my suspicion as to who the prankster was and one of these days I will get even. WATCH OUT!

The movie clip- DropBox will allow you to watch without joining- just click on the "X":
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqzql12068b248r/GoPro%20reversed%20prank.wmv?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

One lonnnngggg shot out the front window showing just the road and the radiator cap gets tiresome. Use your imagination and combine medium, long, and close-up shots of various subjects (road, steering wheel & levers, turning wheels, pedals, etc.) Mix it up and keep it interesting.

Bill, that shot may not be what you had in mind, but it's great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Bill, what an interesting video effect! You can see both the driver through the windshield and the scenery in front of the car via the reflection in the windshield. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Mark, I guess you can imagine my surprise when the clip was downloaded to my PC. "What the heck?" The good thing is- I know who did it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

For those who haven't seen it, here is an example of one of Steve's "mix it up" videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8N9rR0GU

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration