OT Survived vacation, and found some Ts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Survived vacation, and found some Ts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Made it back from our vacation in one piece. Ill post a pic of our camp rig, it really needs cleaned up. :-) :-). I had asked for some suggestions for places to see in Colorado Utah and New Mexico. I took some of the suggestions and found a few of our own. Terry Woods, you were right about the Cumbres and Toltec train ride. We did the 1/2 way trip from Chama New Mexico. It was a great trip and we were hit by a snow storm while in route. It made the train ride so much better. Lots of other nice things on the trip. Ill not bore everyone with the details. But I did find some model Ts while in Silverton Colorado. There was a 24 hack, a 26-27 pickup made from a touring, a nice 26-27 coupe project. (It was for sale for 3000.00) and was supposed to have a engine ready to go in. The man who owned the cars was very nice and I could tell he wanted to show me everything, but we just did not have the time. He said he also had a wide track touring, and he also had a Snowmobile that was on loan to one of the local Motel/cabin rental places. I got some pics of it. I wish I had asked if it was for sale. My wife said it was impossible to go anywhere, without me finding some model Ts, :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Thanks again to all who gave input on things to do. and for those who may think we really drove the old 1964 Ford and the 1948 M-System travel trailer. It is actually just my Model T parts storage building ... The wife would divorce me if I tried to use it on a vacation ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Donnie,
Great train pics. That sedan is still sitting out there, huh? Was there when we visited back in '98 or so. I never got that close to it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Donnie, I think you are a Model T magnet. ;>) Looks like you had a great time.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Donnie - Sounds like you had a great trip, and I love the pictures! One really interesting picture you posted is the close-up of the passenger side rear wheels of the snowmobile. That is one of the most "out-of-whack" wooden Model "T" wheels I've ever seen! You can sure tell which is the "drive axle" by looking at those wheels! I'm guessing that that snowmobile has not run for quite some time now, and it might be that that rear wheel (and probably it' mate) may be one big reason why the machine has not run any more! Thanks again for posting the great photos,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Look at how badly torqued that rear wheel is on the snowmobile!
Glad you had a wonderful vacation!
(The big question is, did any of those model Ts follow you home?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Beatchya' to it Wayne! Guess we were typing at the same time! But that wheel's pretty hard to miss, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Donnie -- A snowmobile could be a lot of fun in the Colorado Rockies, but I doubt that you'd get much use out of it where you live. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Yep, I could drive the snowmobile to work a couple of months out of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Harold S!
I don't mind being beaten by the best! Besides, I type slow. In high school, I took a semester of typing class. I wasn't the slowest in the class, I was next to the slowest. Got clear up to a rip-roaring 23 wpm. The slowest guy was only 21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Wayne - I took typing in HS too! And if your typing class was anything like the one I was in, I think I know what your problem was. As one of the very few boys in that class, I'm pretty sure you were too busy looking at the girls like I was! .....harold : ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

The last pic of the sedan is supposed to be a 1932 Studebaker,. It is in the Petrified Forest National Park where old route 66 crosses the park. I never noticed how bad the rear wheel was, till now .... I have over 450 pictures.... But Ill control myself ...:-) :-) and just show these ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Donnie - Don't hold back on our account.....the pics are great!

As an "aside", you make a good point. Nowadays, with the advent of the digital camera (and now, "smart phones") it's easy to take many more pictures on a trip than you realize!

A couple years ago, my son and I took a trip to England (where we have relatives in Yorkshire) and toward the end of the trip, I was teasing Son Craig as he had figured that he had taken about 800 pictures. Well, when we got home, I found out that I had taken well over 600, and the really dumb thing was that in many cases, we had both taken pictures of the same thing! Crazy, huh? Would never have happened in the old 35mm film days! .....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

I saw the T's also in Silverton...We were there Sunday and battled a snowstorm driving home to Montrose Co..Hey Wait...isn't it supposed to be Spring....
Glad you got home N sound....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Glad to see you rode the Cumbres and Toltec train ride. 10 times better than the Durango to Silverton, but just isn't advertised as such.

Nice shots of the T's too. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Carl, Sunday is when we rode the train. We left Silverton Friday and fought a snow storm going to Durango to spend the night before going on to Chama NM. It was 38 degrees Sunday morning when we boarded the train. Its just a "cool" spring... We are "train nuts" and have ridden a bunch of them. But the trip Sunday on the Cumbres and Toltec is the best so far. The Engineer worked his butt off trying to keep the train going as we had rain and snow and a little hail while climbing to the top of the Cumbres pass. We were in the "handicap" car because of my Mom being with us. That is also the car the conductor calls home or office. So we could hear all the "radio chatter" between the engineer, the conductor, and dispatch back in Chama. The engineer had to "sand" the rails almost all the way to the top of the pass. Dispatch already had the "helper engine" fired up if we could not make it with a single engine. Under normal conditions a single engine can only pull 7 cars over the pass. If you have 8 cars they use a "helper engine" to help "push" the train over the pass and then the "helper engine" goes back to Chamma. We had 7 cars and a icy/wet track. It was all the poor engineer could do to keep the drive wheels pulling. I do not know how many times you could hear them "break loose" and lose traction. He only stalled the train one time. I usually try to visit with the engineer of the trains if I can, since I am a retired Boilermaker and we usually have a little in common to talk about. Most of the times the engineer is nice and friendly and not tired or dirty by the time we get through the trip. This guy was filthy dirty, the poor "stoker" was black from head to toe. and you could tell they were "wore out". I decided to let them rest. Just a very nice trip ... (for us)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Donnie, most, if not all those T's you found in Silverton, were formally owned by a Space City T's chapter member, Cary Greene. He lived in Silverton most of his retired life, but a few years ago, announced that because of age and health, that he and wife were moving to southern Mississippi, if my memory is correct. Apparently, they haven't moved, as I just got the latest club roster in the mail today, and his address is still Silverton. His cars listed are: 1914 'basket case', 1915 wide track runabout, 1918 touring, 1924 depot hack, 1926 roadster pickup, 1926 coupe, and 1926/27 touring snowmobile. MTFCA member 17312

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Terry, He still has all the cars you mentioned. That is Cary Greene standing by the hack. You can tell that his health is not real good but they still live in Silverton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

When I took typing I never made words per minute it was words per hour. They finally burned my desk to get rid of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:06 am:

My high school business teacher passed me in Typing I, just so she wouldn't have to have me in her class a second year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Might as well further derail the thread....... :-O
I think the class I'm MOST glad I took was typing.
Little did I know how valuable it would become.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:23 am:

Donnie, I have to agree, out of all the trains I have ridden, the Cumbres and Toltec was my favorite. When I went, I did the whole trip from Antonito to Chama. Stopping at Osier for lunch. A great trip it was! The bar car was nice too with local Colorado brews ;-) The snow looks like it made a pretty ride!

The 489 was our loco for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 02:23 am:

Donnie,,if you look up "Chama Webcam" you can find a site with live webcams of the yard and depot ..You can see the trains in action everyday...I believe it's the "Friends of the Cumbes &. Toltec"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:59 am:

Carl..thanks for the info! Found it on Google, third one down. Super cool. Got 'em bookmarked! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Carl, thanks for the info, Ill look it up. Here are a few more pics.

Me in the snow between Ouray and Silverton

dobro1956

The Rotary Snow Plow. It was last used in the 60s to clear the line over Cumbres Pass. It took seven engines to push it thru the 20 foot snow drifts. It has its own Boiler, coal car, amd water tanker, but no drive wheels. It has to be pushed, and is one mean. evil looking rig .. The 489 is also the engine on our trip.

rotary

left snow

right snow

Me and Mom. She really enjoyed the trip. The outside viewing car was really not that cold. Some places along the trip were pretty nice outside, and then in 1/4 mile it could be "cold as *(&%".

mom

It cleared off nice in the afternoon on the way back to Chama.

clear

The "Cadillac Ranch" in Texas..

C ranch

Me , my wife Kathy, and Mom at Grand Canyon... We also went to Bryce Canyon National Park, The Grand Staircase National Park, in Utah, The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, in Motrose Co. and Chimney Rock National Park between Durango and Pagossa Springs Co.

grand canyon

This was mostly a driving, sightseeing trip this time, because Mom can not walk much, and my sister-in-law who went with us also was still week from her chemo treatments, but we still had a good time. Now it is time to try and get back into "working mode" and get ready for our big swap meet in Arkansas June 16-20 at Petitt Jean Mountain in Morilliton AR. Hope to see some of ya'll there ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:53 am:

I love that part of the country, and the C&T is my favorite railroad.

488 at Osier.

489 at Antonito.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:21 am:

There are two rotaries there, OM & OY, the OY has been used in this century to plow the line.
I didn't realize how graffitied the Cadillacs have become. Fairly recently the cars were repainted original colors, but apparently that didn't last 24 hours before they were "artified" (modern world, vandalism is art)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:32 am:

LOL Donnie ya'll must prefer the cold cause you're only smiling in pictures with snow. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

David. I bet there is at least a 1/4 inch thick layer of graffiti paint on the cars. It may even be 3/8 to a 1/2 inch thick in easy to reach places. How many cans of aerosol spray paint would that take .???? You can see the cans laying on the ground by the cars. I was told that someone picks them up every day. There is a dumpster beside the gate, but most are too lazy to carry them back to the dumpster. They are now just empty gutted hulks. There are even doors missing. Seth, you got it right. We are "snow people" That's why I "need" a Model T snowmobile ... :-) :-) Steve Jelf, I really wanted to take your suggestion about Dinosaur Tracks near Tuba Arizonia. but we had a bad motel experience there several years ago. The 2 motels in Tuba were extreamly high. They wanted 165.00 per night for a single bed for two people even back then. So this time we were going to play it safe and stay in Paige Arizona and then go on to Tuba. Wrong, and a very bad idea. Paige Arizona is now one of the places "marked on my list" as "NEVER" go back to. The rooms in town were a "slap in the face high" The normal chain motels were in the 397.00 per night range with AARP or a manager special or there reduced rate. We finally found a old motel (but clean) on the edge of town that we got a room for 288.00. We had to use a roll-away bed for the third bed and had no floor space. I checked at least 15 different motels in town. Almost all of the Motels were rude to the point of saying "where else are you going to find a room tonight". Like I said "NEVER" again for Paige Arizona. On a side note, we stayed at three different Route 66 Motels for around 55.00 to 65.00 including tax, per night, for 4 adults and three beds. All three were nice clean remodeled rooms. Other than the rooms in Paige we had a very good time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Donnie, I think I saw the T that's under the blue tarp in Silverton in August of '13. There was a "For Sale" sign in the window but no price. Check out the picture. I'll lay money it's the same one.Silverton T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I can't BELIEVE Mr. Greene is still in Silverton !! Me and Stephanie honeymooned in the Durango, Silverton, Ouray area back in '93 and rode the train to Silverton. We were met at the station by Mr. Greene and his depot hack. He sold T rides to tourists and gave an oral history of the mining town back then. I told him I didn't care about the history; lets talk about Model Ts. What a fine gentleman! He retired from NASA down below Houston and wanted a change in scenery. BTW, if ya'll ever get to my favorite CO town of Ouray, (sorry Paul) look up a guy named Benji. He's in the HCCA roster and will show you his collection of horseless carriage brass. It reminded me of Nicholas Cage and National Treasure. Was HUGE and awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

George, The road between Silverton and Ouray is not for the faint of heart. If you ever thought you may have a tendency towards Tourette's syndrome, it will come out on that road. I will never go that way again. Donnie I am glad you had fun at the Utah parks. Bryce is my favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Kevin, I agree if you have mental disabilities, you might not want to drive 550 between Silverton and Ouray in good weather, but I have driven it several times with my wife (who even avoids freeways and Interstates because of her nervousness) and she enjoyed the heck out of it. Now, rainy, icy weather would be an entirely different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Kevin and Terry: I agree the road between Ouray and Silverton is not for the nervous type of drivers. But it is a beautiful drive. I think we may go back to Ouray in a few years and do the Jeep trails and drives. We drove most of the roads out of Silverton in a Jeep about 10 years ago. We rented our Jeep from a place called "rent a wreck" Nice name isn't it... :-). It cost 95.00 for the Jeep for a full day and have it back by 11:00 the next day. insurance was an extra 15.00 per day. So for 105.00 we had a Jeep to ourselves. There was Me and the wife and our son was with us. The Jeep tours were 65.00 per person. So for 195.00 (90.00 higher) we could have had a guided tour for the three of us. All day long while we were having fun at our own speed and stopping when we wanted to stop, and going up side roads the tours would not go on, because they stay on the good easy traveled roads. We watched Jeep tour Jeeps pass us at a ridiculous speed, packed with poor tourist bouncing around inside. They would stop somewhere and the driver would say "leaving in 15 minutes" He would usually honk the horn in 10 minutes. Not really my idea of fun. But I do want to go back to Ouray and rent a Jeep there just for us. Now that sounds like a fun day ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Donnie,,add about 4" of snow on that road between Silverton & Ouray and that was us last Saturday ...We made it though....I was the lead dog and a big group behind us weren't in any hurry to lead...So we plugged along and it was just raining in the part that was real interesting .....87* Here at home today......!!!!With a nice view toward Ouray for our place.....I wish the guys that go over Imogene Pass with Model T s would post photos again....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration