Headlight rim wrench

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Headlight rim wrench
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

A while back there was a thread on these tools. I thought I would make one using model T parts. What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Using a transmission band is near genius!!
Great job.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

It's a "period correct" solution to that problem. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

What a great idea! Love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

I like the main bearing bolts bent for the handles !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Add some wood to the handles and it would be perfect. Going to make one of these. Great idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Neat tool.Did you use a cotton band material?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

This was my dad's idea. No usable T parts were destroyed for this project. Now if I can find some use for the rest of them. I have had enough junk crankshafts to make a picket fence. I used some of them to reinforce the thick concrete slab under one of my car hoists. I think about them when I lift something heavy. That great Ford steel still working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Jack,
Band lining would have made the band too small. I lined it with Gorilla Tape. By the way, can you guys tell me if the handles on the tool in the photo point right or left? I have had a few pics posted that showed up upside down. Would like to know if we have fixed that. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:09 am:

Great idea :-)
The handles points left on both the phone and the computer over here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Erik -- The handles are to the left on my computer, and the Ford script on the lens is at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Eric,

I had the same picture orientation issue in the classifieds. I used an iPhone to take the pictures. Apparently Apple and Microsoft define "TOP" differently :-(

Be_Zero_Be

P.S. I do have one bad thing to say about your tool.

Now the price of useless non-removable ear transmission bands will go up at swap meets ... Dang it !! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Some on this forum would claim that if you used Kevlar band lining on your rim tool it would cause the bulbs to burn out sooner..... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I was going to crack wise about Kevlar cracking the headlight rim. Thanks guys for the input on the photo orientation. Bob, the price of early bands remains the same at my swap spot. Cheap. Seems demand is quite low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

And chatter from cotton could crack the glass, probably best to use wood here. ;)

jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:44 am:

How well does it work? I made a simple one out of aluminum, it just catches the opposing rivets. It does work but you still have to fight it some.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration