1916 coil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1916 coil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

I hooked a 6 volt batt up and got good spark on 3 coils but one nothing I moved coils around so timer is ok. It's one of the three brass top coils too I believe are original to car. I have read on older posts that condensers go bad is there a way to test coil? Or cond. without taking coil apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Original condensers need to disappear. Replace them. Your points don't look too good either from what's visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Interesting (or maybe just coincidental) that three of your coils are nearly identical, and the one pictured on the extreme right is quite different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Early "brass tops", Harold - the one on the right is the "common" T coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Ahhh haaaa,.....so THAT's the difference, huh? Thanks Steve,.....I obviously don't know much about coils! Funny tho' when they all have the similar "patina" (if that's the right word) when you look close, the earlier "brass top" coils sure have a look of better quality don't they. Even when they're not all polished up like we usually see them. I guess things were pretty much the same in the old days,.....something was a good design, worked well, and then somebody found a way to make them cheaper, but still work as well! (but made in the U.S.A. of course!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Your first check should be to see if your secondary is ok. Do this by getting an ohm reading across the front 2 contacts. There is a spec of something like 28 ohms but if you get a reading chances are the secondary winding is ok. Then proceed with restoring the coil. (in a nut shell)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:16 am:

I think the main reason the brass tops disappeared was WW1 needed the brass and Ford probably couldn't get any for his coils. Someone at Ford must have tried a coil without brass top and discovered it worked the same as with or without the brass top so that was the end of metal top coils.

That secondary resistance is not typically a low resistance of less than 50 ohms but is about 3200 ohms. It can vary +/- 10% from that nominal value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:33 am:

If I remember (Ron Patterson's?) article on coils these brass tops came and went in various configurations at the same time the plain wood tops were being made. '16/'17. In that area I think. Not sure if their Ford or KW or whatever. Don't know if it's any kind of improvement over the plain type but it sure involves more insulating parts to prevent shorting between the top connections. And yes, they do polish up nicely!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Thanks guys I got it working! Good spark now on all 4 it was a little lite rust on point plate found it with ohm. Meter

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration