Brass Rad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass Rad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:03 am:

I got a cool brass rad for my speedster on the weekend. Not sure what car this was on originally, it has 2 outlets on the bottom and one on the top. Its made by the Mayo Radiator Co, New Haven Conn. 1911 patent date.
It needs some repairs but the core looks pretty good. Anybody know a good brass rad repair guy in the northwest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:05 am:

Well, I am seriously jealous! hahaha! Id love to find one of those for a future speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:06 am:

here is a shot of the back too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:09 am:

I was and still on cloud nine after finding this hanging on the wall of a barn, where a fellow had some cars and parts stored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:16 am:

I would be too! Thats a great piece!! I hope you can get it working! Argh, got to find me one now! hahaha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:28 am:

My guess is circa 1914 Oakland. I had one a few years ago for a race car project.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:10 am:

It is a radiator for a 1915 - 16 Scripps Booth V8, a very odd, rare, and obscure car. Here is a photo of the engine compartment showing the dual lower radiator inlets and single outlet to fit the Scripps V8.

The four cylinder Scripps radiator looks similar, but only has a single outlet at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:31 am:

That's wild looking. Is the air intake one piece with the water outlets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Royce,that is a cool shot. Do you have any more photos of this? Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Neil,

Click here:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1915+scripps+booth&qpvt=1915+scripps+booth&q pvt=1915+scripps+booth&FORM=IGRE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

In this case, I say sell it and get a proper V radiator for the speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

In this case, I say sell it and get a proper V radiator for the speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

I'm with Ed.

That would be valuable to a Scripps Booth owner who needs a radiator.

It would be a shame to cannibalize it for a Model T speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

..If there are any Scripps-Booth's out there without radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Maybe contact these folks?

http://scrippsboothregister.com/ScrippsBoothIndex.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

To the right person that would be a gold mine if they needed one for that particular car! Can we imagine how much it would cost to reproduce one? A BUNCH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

If there wasn't enough on those 2 links here is one I like:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/178392-1916-scripps-booth-v8-engine/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

I agree, something that unique needs to go back on a car like it came from--you probably can get two nice radiators for your speedster out of the deal! (trade, not cash!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Hi From Iowa! Just a Warning or Heads Up!! I bought a similar German silver rad from Bergs for my T speedster because they said it had leeks & even they refused to even try o fix it!! As they explained those old square cell cores are very prone to many leeks & are near impossible to repair! I could not find any shop willing to take on the job! They, very kindly put me in touch with Carnegie Rad in Pa that deal with these all the time!!! They make up a modern core and face the new core with a facing mane out of the original square cell core! Very nice - very beautiful and very expensive!?! My rad cost $1200, but a friend spent $1800 on the Whippet rad for his T Speedster. Please be ware of what WE CAN GET INTO!!! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Hey John can you post a picture of your radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:41 am:

years ago there was a shop that would disassemble the core, clean the tubes and then reassemble it This is done by tinning the ends, clamping the assembly together and then dipping the end of the assembled core into a vat of hot solder. Very labor intensive, and I have no idea where they were or if they're still in business. Check with the RR type folks, that's how the RR radiators were made for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:20 am:

I will have to give this some serious thought.
I was pretty excited to get a v shaped rad, but if it's that rare maybe I have to reconsider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:10 am:

How easy it is for some of us to get on our high horses and decide how someone else should invest their money. Neil picked up a radiator that sat for years with little value to anyone. Now, people are telling him that it would be unethical for him to use it as he sees fit.

The suggestion that he sell this and buy a Livingston V seems ludicrous. The Livingston V costs $5,000. I highly doubt that this radiator would bring ten percent of that in its current state. Who's job is it fund preserve history and fund the difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:43 am:

You can get a nice reproduction V radiator from Australia from the seller below for 2500 shipped. not 5000. It even has the proper Livingston stamping on the front. Still expensive, but better than 5k.
I encourage preservation of any rare car part, not just Ts. Thats not high horse jib jab. Thats someone who gives a damn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-Model-T-LIVINGSTONE-V-SPEEDSTER-NEW-Reproductio n-/201028446978?vxp=mtr&hash=item2ece3aab02&nma=true&si=NbXxIsUrVScwO0AOjwFs48Zf O8I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Maybe Neil should offer to trade his Scripps Booth radiator to someone willing to buy him one of the reproductions - just sayin'

The new owner can then go on a quest to re-unite the radiator with a deserving and grateful Scripps Booth owner. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Hi From Iowa: I still vote on Oakland - only because I have seen both & it still looks Oky to me? (not an expert though) My nicely redone Ger Silver V Rad has not been used yet & is crated away so I cannot get you a picture, but planting is almost over so maybe in a week or 2? That is a very nice rad & I think it would look great on a speedster!! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

The Oakland radiator won't have twin outlets at the bottom that are required to cool a Scripps V8. No way it is for an Oakland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Hi From Iowa! Royce - Thanks for the great info - I bow to better expertice!! There was a SB fairly complete at Chickasha a couple of years ago & I don't think it was any more than a similar shape Model T - But much harder to find parts for? I also saw a SB rad at a swap meet, but passed because of my experience with the first square cell Rad - there are a few out there? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Mark,
You got my point exactly! Let the people who claim to care so much about preserving history prove it with their pocketbooks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Well this rad may be very rare it is old and in need of repairs. When I found it it was in a barn with lots of other forgotten parts. When I seen it my heart jumped, this could be the start of my dream speedster. A brass era speedster with a V shaped rad and some solid disc wheels, has been whirling around in my brain for sometime now. I understand how hard it is to find rare parts for a restoration but it is also just as hard to find period correct parts for a build. Just as a Desoto grill is the period correct grill for a fifties custom Merc, it leaves a Desoto restoration with out the grill, but I seldom hear anyone say the Merc builder should have left the grill for a future Destoto.
I think I will go ahead with my build, I will not alter the rad but make a pipe up to join the 2 bottom outlets together. That way if the day comes that someone restoring a Scipps Booth, I could remove it and maybe replace it with another V shaped rad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration