Looking for a crack free NOS set of these...dream on !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for a crack free NOS set of these...dream on !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 02:24 am:

I saw an almost crack free example of those Fisk tires last year visiting an auto museum in Köping, Sweden. No, nothing is for sale there. It hangs on the wall of a recreation of an old workshop.
Fisk tire 1
Fisk tire 2
Fisk tire 3

(Message edited by Roger K on May 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 03:33 am:

I love those old tires. I sometimes comment about seeing several many years ago. I am not sure just what the reasoning was, but I have seen red tread, red sidewalls with gray tread, and even a bright Irish green sidewall with gray tread tire. Based upon a few color ads I have seen over the years, that seems to have been a short-lived thing during the mid teens to very early twenties at the latest.
I do wish many more people would have saved such tires, even in poor condition, just so more people today could see such things.

THANK YOU Constantine and Roger K for sharing these! Roger, That is the nicest such surviving tire I have ever seen!
Really old rubber type things can be a tough problem for historians and preservationists. About thirty years ago, I removed a very old and badly rotted tire off of a rim I needed (the tire was probably from the 1930s). I was surprised to find a very old gum type inner-tube inside in surprisingly decent condition. Sadly, I was unprepared to deal with it. After about fifty years surviving inside the tire, once exposed to the outside air, it disintegrated in about a week. I still have it. It totally liquefied, and I put it inside a gallon zip-lock storage bag.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 04:46 am:

That's about the only good thing about our cold and sun light restricted climate - less damage to rubber parts. Allthough they have to be kept inhouse in a dark cellar here also to remain this good..

I have one "Gislaved Cord" tire on my primitive pickup that may be from before WW2?

Gislaved tire 1

The inner tube looks just like new, having been protected from sunlight inside the tire all the time:

gislaved tire

The text "Formpressad" means molded to shape, don't know when that technique was introduced for inner tubes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Roger, great photos. I could be wrong but it looks that the "red top" tyres are just white tyres dipped or painted in a red substance rather than having any red rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:47 am:

I have seen a very few original red tread and all red tires in poor condition. The red rubber went at least most of the way through on them. The red tread/white wall I saw was mounted on a private collector's shop wall, so I could not look closely at the sidewalls or inside the tire. I could look up at the tire enough to see that the red went well inside the tread.
Thanks again for a great thread.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration