OT - " How are you doing today my friend " .... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - " How are you doing today my friend " .... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:08 am:

This is Rosie

About (6) years ago she literally had nothing.

Today - she owns a small hardware store along with a small motel in Lordsburg, NM.

I sat down with her yesterday afternoon to share an apple pie I had bought from Apple Annie's in Wilcox, AZ earlier in the day.

From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Rosie is at her small hardware store - from 5:00 p.m. to midnight she is working at her motel ....

Rosie bought the building for her hardware store (6) with no money down - no conventional credit or assets - no small business loan.

Someone trusted her .... :-)

Rosie stocked the hardware store in the same manner.

Rosie then bought the motel (3) years ago in the same manner & worked one room at a time to open it up for travelers.

That is when I first met her & started making Budget Motel my stop along I-10 in New Mexico every time I pass thru .... :-)

From nothing Rosie created (2) businesses.

Well - not exactly nothing ....

Rosie greets everyone sincerely with:

" How are you doing today my friend "

And she really means it .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Jim what a great success story, and what a great Lady! Goes to show you what one can do with a little guts, determination, and yes, hard work. Too many people want it all as easy as possible, or yet, even handed to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Tim,

Absolutely agree.

Last visit when Rosie greeted me _ I asked her how she greeted her enemies ...

She said " Everyone is my friend "

The world needs more Rosies.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

What a great story and an inspiration to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

What a grand lady. Did you meet her at the hotel or the hardware store? I went to Lordsburg about ten years ago to pick up a KRW pan jig from the Lordsburg Ford Garage. It was 118 degrees that day. If I go back for any reason, I'll stop by for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Erik,

Rosie's story is amazing.

(6) years ago she was working at the local Sheriffs' office part time cleaning & making about $120 a week.

They offered her a full time job - but she wanted her own business.

So - she continued to work part time & made an offer on the empty building to buy it with no money down & (6) months before she had to make her first payment.

At the time she was technically homeless & living with her son in Lordsburg.

The hardware store became a success & Rosie became an inspiration to the town.

(3) years later the owner of the motel approached Rosie about buying his business - but she was not interested.

He was persistent & eventually Rosie bought the motel pretty much on the same terms that she was able to buy the empty building that now is a small town hardware store.

Oh ....

A couple months ago her son won a car race in Las Cruces - Rosie is his " pit crew " .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I first met Rosie (3) years ago when she opened the Budget Motel.

I was one of her first guests ...

Budget Motel
816 E Motel Dr
Lordsburg, NM 88045
(575) 542-3567

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Jim,
Thanks for the info. We will definitely stop in if we are down that way. Rosie is an inspiration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:41 am:

The people who let her buy stuff with "No money now" sound generous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Update on my friend Rosie ... :-)

I stopped for a couple days in Lordsburg, NM because the weather was terrible at my next stop in Ft. Worth, TX.

Lordsburg was born a railroad town & still is ...

I stopped in at El Charro across the street from Rosie's hardware store for lunch ...

I met Rosa who has worked here for 55 years ...

The food was good ... :-)

Then I visited Rosie at her hardware store ...

I spent a couple nights at the Budget Motel further down the road with Rosie.

I shared an apple pie I bought from Apple Annie's in Wilcox, AZ with Rosie & her niece ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Great story and pics Jim. I just love the Southwest area, the beauty of the open terrain is that which one really can't describe. It has to be seen and enjoyed in person. I'd love to get back there someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Thanks Jim, definitely a great story to post over this Thanksgiving weekend. Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:54 am:

love the hardware store ! it's one of those "if I don't have it you don't need it" places.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Rosie has everything including the kitchen sink (literally) in the hardware store.

I gave here a pair of ST trailer tires I had on the trailer I keep as loose spares to sell - she even has used tires in her store !

Great Lady .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration