Rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Hi All, I saved a frame, rear axle and front axle from going to the scrapper a few years ago. Now that I have a 27 Coupe I want to build up a good rear axle. I also have a small drum Ruxtell and a Rocky Mountain over-under for a car. So I pulled the scrapper axle apart today as Iam going to Auburn and checking out what I may need. I found a fun projects spool kit new gears, two good axles and something I have not seen before. The carrier has timken taper bearings like the A axle. So I wont be using babbett or needle bearings like most have. Now Iam not using the housings as they are small drum. But I think I can machine into my large housings to install the cone outer races but was wondering if any one has done this before. Ive only played with TT axles so this is new to me. I do have a full machine shop so this is do able just not easy. Seeing that I have enough parts to put together a large drum Ruxtell with a Rocky Mountain over-under and the Rocky MOuntain brakes. Any pros or cons to doing all this? Thanks for any input you can give, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:05 am:

First get the MTFCA Ruckstell booklet.
Then work.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:17 am:

Wow! Someone obviously had no idea what was there, did they? Probably someone passed away, and the family was just "dumping the junk".
When I take apart a rear end, it's usually totally worn out or rusted out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:58 am:

I have heard of it being done, but never seen one. Look it over carefully to make sure it was properly done. Otherwise, I am with David D on this one. Sounds like you got lucky!
Sounds like you're going for the same combination I have in my '24 coupe! It has a Rocky Mountain six Speed transmission on a large-drum Ruckstell with Rocky Mountain brakes. My service and emergency brake systems are independent on separate cross shafts.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 05:28 am:

Ellis Gray did this sort of thing ages ago . A two-page article appeared in The Vintage Ford, Vol. 3 Number 2, for March-April, 1968.

Scans of the article here:

Modified Ruckstell, VF vol. 3, # 2, page 14

Modified Ruckstell, VF vol 3, #2, page 15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Scott, can you post some photos? I have done some work on the axle bearings that worked for me. My axles were worn so bad .030 that getting an axle seal to work would be impossible. I machined the axles down to 1" ,of course finishing with a good radius, and installing McGill bearings in a bushing that housed the bearing and seal that fits in a stock axle housing. With this set-up the bearing runs in gear lube like modern axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Scott- contact me off line if you have any questions on the Timken carrier- or send me an e-mail- dmcgearsatyahoodotcom. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Dave, Yes the guy passe away and I came in the day before everything left was going to the scrapper.
John, I have a camera but need help loading the drivers for my camera to this computer. So no pictures yet.
Wayne, What gear ratio did you use? I have a 27 Coupe and would like to get a bit of speed on the back roads on flat ground. I have 21 wires and new Firestones. The bands look and work like new.
Dan, Sent you a private e-mail.
Thanks to all for the input, Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration