Happy T Motor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Happy T Motor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

When i first bought my T and brought it home and running for the first time in 12+ years, i was just happy that it ran. It skipped and it popped and was very temperamental depending on the mood it was in. I took this as "an old motor design" and gave no thought of it ever running as smooth as all my other cars that were 40+ years newer. Well i was completely wrong!..After lots of adjustments..(new coils from John Regan and Brent mize), A rebuilt carb a TW timer, and some of that dreaded fluid we dare not name to lubricate the valves,...my car runs as smooth as Henry intended it..:-)..What a great motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbxEqZmnkhE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Sounds like a good running Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Thanks Royce, i always thought these motors to be basic and crude, but set up correctly, they run very nicely indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:22 am:

I'll say the name of the fluid. MMO !! Marvel Mystery Oil
There ,it's said and I have no shame, it works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:10 am:

Good to hear John. That's just the right combination for great running for a very long time. I've done all those things except the carb which is next. As for the red fluid, it's getting hard to find here. I went to one store and bought out their entire stock. Should last me for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:07 am:

MMO good in my barn as well its up there with BEER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

John,
Just curious, where did you put that red fluid in the oil or in the gas or both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

James, when i first brought it home, i added it to both to see if it would help to loosen up the innards since it sat for such a long time. Now i just add it to the gas every other tank-full. I know people have mixed reactions on using it, but my car really seems to enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

My 22 in my box truck26? Invisible front floor brackets26? Floor board panels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

Its kinda funny what folks expect a Model T to run like. Mine mutters out of the tailpipe and has a ragged idle but has plenty of pep and runs great on the road. Everybody I ask about the poor behavior at idle say "its a Model T - they all do that!"

Mebbee not - yours sounds pretty sweet!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Greg,looks like you have a 26-27 transmission or a complete engine transmission assembly. That's a big plus in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

OOPS, on second look that's pictures from 2 different cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:20 am:

"Mine mutters out of the tailpipe and has a ragged idle but has plenty of pep and runs great on the road."

Our '27 ran like that until I discovered the camshaft was badly worn. A reground stock grind camshaft from Antique Auto Ranch cured it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

That is interesting! I would have thought a worn cam would have hurt the high end worse than the low end.

My cam was inspected and reused. Larry Blair miced it and said it was good to go when I was rebuilding the motor a couple of years ago. He also mentioned it was a Chaffin Driver cam judging from the measurements.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Paul, i agree with you 100% about the perception of what a T should sound like. I have heard some that sound like Swiss timepieces, and i have heard some that sound like they just plowed 1400 acres. The best part is that they still continue to run. My engine ran like crap when i got it, i had no idea about the mileage or maintenance of mine. I drive it because i Love it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration