Are these model N tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Are these model N tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:16 am:

I found these tires and I think they are for a ford model N. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? The side walls are a little cracked but they look like NOS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:09 am:

I don't recall if any of the NRS cars used that size or not, but a lot of small cars before about 1910 did. I think some of the model As did, and maybe the model F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:22 am:

According to Hap, the model S runabout (not the S roadster) used the 28X3. These were mostly 1908.
Check near the bottom of this thread

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/544158.html?1432778553

Regardless, if you want to sell them, classified either here or the Early Ford Registry should be good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:09 am:

This was a coo on tire size for small, pre-T cars. My '08 Maxwell uses them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:15 am:

They are the right size for Ford Model N and various non Ford cars that used this size. Maxwell, Oldsmobile, Buick, and many others used that size tire at one time.

They probably are tires from the 1950's or 1960's is my guess. Old ones from back in the day would have been near white. Value would be low unless they are soft and pliable. If they are soft and not age cracked or rotted they might be worth $50 - $75 for the pair as "roll around" tires for a non - driven vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Yes, N and S runabout, and as Eric mentioned, many smaller cars of the period (1900-1915) used this clincher. The tires look pretty good, and might be a good choice on a static display car. My biggest concern is that they not be torn, or start to tear or separate in the clincher groove. This is where older tires I've used have failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:35 am:

The Gehrig Tire company operated out of Ft. Wayne Indiana from about 1955 - 1961. That probably dates the tires as close as you will get.

There is an interesting photo of the president of Gehrig tires here:

http://contentdm.acpl.lib.in.us/cdm/ref/collection/coll6/id/627

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration