OT - "They just tried to 'scam' me!"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - "They just tried to 'scam' me!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

-An 'ALERT TO ALL!'-

Got a voicemail message this morning, supposedly from the IRS, that "We have been trying to reach you with an official notice that the IRS is filing a law suit against you." Instructions were to "call 202-864-1214 for more information about this file." No information to identify me or any other identifying instructions were given.

Vaguely recalling I had read about 'scams on seniors' in our Village Newsletter, I called our Sheriff's Office instead. After explaining the call, their first question was "Did you give them any personal information?" I had not called the number back! "Don't! It is a common scam that is going around." The ploy is to try to deceive the call recipient to believe the Washington, D.C. "202" area code. Once they have your personal information, you have become 'fair game'.....

Just thought you might like to know, and to protect yourself.

Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

I got a call here from one of these scammer &$;)holes threatening to come and arrest my grandfather for IRS back taxes if he didn't give them his bank number for payment. If grandpa were still living, he would be 102 years old and a prime target for this kind of stuff. I played with these idiots for a few minutes just for the entertainment of wasting their time as well as mine. I asked them if they knew where to come and get grandpa and they said of course, it's on file with their records. I told them I would leave the gate open, but don't bother with body armor because I always take head shots when there are federal agents involved. Seemed to rattle them a bit. Still they persisted, so I gave them a bogus account number at the bank of Nigeria. I wonder how long it took them to figure out some people are not stupid. I guess some folks are just not cut out for gainful employment. The IRS will not call you, nor will your bank or Internet provider, and ask for info they should already have. Don't give your info and money away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

I've gotten two from PayPal asking me to reverify my info.They say they have frozen my account. let them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

These scams have been going around for some time and it amazes me that the scammers STILL think people are that stupid. Unfortunately, some are I guess.

As for the IRS scam, I DID call the number and got a guy with a heavy Indian or similar accent. I told him I only had one question: Did he know the penalty for impersonating a Federal official. For some strange reason he hung up and hasn't called back since.

40 years in the telephone industry. I've seen it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Got a call from Microsoft wanting to get into my computer. I am a computer consultant so I played with them for a little bit, acting dumb, them told them to kiss my you know what and hung up.

I did have one of my clients fall for this scam. It took me a couple of hours to straighten his computer so he could use it safely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

These scams are a common and people fall victim to them all the time. Never provide any personal account information over the internet or phone without first contacting your account holder or financial institution through legitimate channels. Never use the telephone number of link in the suspicious email message or call the telephone number provided by the suspicious party. Lastly, you can pre-scan the content of suspicious email messages without the risk of damaging your computer by viewing it first by right clicking and selecting viewing message properties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I got 1 of the calls monday from a Indian accent guy. He was calling about my "computa".
My dad watches alot of tv and hears of these scams.
So I put it on speaker so he could hear.
First I said," Oh my,how did you know I was having problems with my computa?" I tried to mock his accent best I could :-). I really need some help with it as it is SO slow." He says, "Ok we help you,is your computa online?" I said "Uh, naw, but wait just a minute, I hooked up my new 5k baud modem last night and let's see if it works!" He said, "ok". A little silence, "R u online yet?", "naw sir, but it is dialing". "What operating systum do you have?", " I just upgraded my computer to windows 95 and it is so slow"--- "Ok we help u". After a couple more minutes I just said, "Hey dum bass, you folks need to quit scamming people" and hung up.
Not a very smart scammer when he sat there telling me he could help me with a windows 95 system tied to a 5k baud modem.
Last week I answered my dad's phone. It was some lady with a terrible accent telling me that I was eligible for a government grant of 9300 dollars. I never could get her to tell me much,just kept saying I could use the money for blah blah blah. I finally just hung up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

I had a similar phone call accent and all. At the beginning of the conversation, I asked the "Microsoft Technician" to provide my registration information and he was unable to do so. Again, he tried to assure me he was only calling out of the kindness of his heart and offering to help me with the impending doom I was about to experience with my computer. Again, I demanded he provide the information previously requested. He replied, "You are a big faucker" and ended the conversation by hanging up the phone. Microsoft should stress the importance of customer relations when they hire these people. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

I do not normally watch the show, but had something going on with family that I needed to keep someone company. So we watched (wait for it) Dr Phil! They had a (very pathetic) lonely woman that responded to one of these phishing scams, and gave someone in Africa more than 1.4 million dollars! (That is right, nearly one and a half million dollars!)
It was actually a good show. They even found the poor fellow whose pictures they had borrowed off the internet. (If you believe this stuff?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Be aware of that lousy stinkin' yahoot also - they trashed my e-mail account, and provided a number to call for tech help. It turned out be a contractor named "I FIX PC" who said that there was a Trojan Horse Virus that killed it. They tried to scam me for $499.95, but yahumpp sent a note that there was no getting it back. I just managed in time to catch the ruse. I'm studying a class action suit against yahplopp, but it probably won't get all my addresses and file folders back...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

We let the 5 year old answer all the telemarketer calls. He says, "Hello? Hello? HELLO? Helllllooo?" until they hang up. He gets a kick out of it and has been doing it since he was a tot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

I got one today from one of those Hindoo Indians who claimed he was a FBI agent from San Fransisco,and wanting to know if I knew a Yahoo in Singapore was try to hack my Computer. I told him they could have the Dang thing and to try to have a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Steven...as you know that wasn't Microsoft, but probably this disgusting bunch from India, they're called "TechiezOnCall.com", they've been busting into computers frequently with a bogus, yet very convincing warning about your computer being infected with a virus. You call the "customer service" 855 number and the first thing they ask is to take control over your computer. They're even starting to infiltrate MAC's, which from what I've heard is fairly rare. So one day I called the bastards back and threatened them after a few expletives. So far, it's been quiet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I'm still laughing at Erik's....head shots, funny.
I just love getting these calls, I have so much fun. I got the Microsoft call from a Indian called "Raj" and I acted like I was really worried about my laptop and would they please help me. The operator said "calm down Sir I will help you" but he got frustrated when I couldn't start my laptop up. I told him I thought it was out of diesel. He assured me it didn't run on diesel and eventually hung up on me when I kept explaining I couldn't find the filler cap.
Two weeks later I got another call and I think it was the same guy so I said "Is that you Raj, I'm glad you rang back as I've filled a Jerry can I'll just go and get it" and he hung up! How rude lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Our business wound up one day with many files scrambled. There was a message that appeared that we had until a certain date to send 500 some denomination of money to a certain address. We did not recognize the denomination. If we did not pay, it would double. If we payed, we would be provided a code to enter which would return things to normal. We found one computer on the network that would not run its anti virus program. We retired it to the scrap pile and then one of our young techs went to work and over a couple of days he was able to restore the corrupted files from back ups. No more damage has been done. We got lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

These idiots called my dad and asked him to get on the computer and go to a specific website. When he told them he has no computer (he does not have a computer) but has indoor plumbing and hot water she chewed him out and hung up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

What gets me is do these folks not have anything better to do than get chewed out by folks like us that are aware of their scams?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Mack, nope. And they have no conscience either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Mack,
I agree with your comment, but the fact that it still goes on indicates they find enough victims to make it worthwhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Barnum denied ever saying it, but the adage was current in his time: There's a sucker born every minute. But that was the nineteenth century. Since then the population has skyrocketed, so new suckers are now arriving every few seconds. They keep the scam industry booming for folks who have a severe allergy to doing anything useful or productive. A machine answers all my land line calls and I pick up if it turns out to be a legitimate caller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:11 am:

'Caller ID' - If not a recognized name or number, "Let it go to Voicemail." Appropriate callers will leave a message, even if I don't pick up. 'Ignore' the inappropriate! My Cell number is shared only when I wish to share it.... -Before Caller ID- My Aunt Wanda did get shook up once when I called there, she answered, and I said "This is a COLLECT OBSCENE PHONE CALL. Will you accept the charges?" With a hurried stutter & stammer, she quickly put the phone in Uncle Skip's hand! We all had a good laugh....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

I had a call the other day on my cell phone. Some guy whom I could not understand kept asking me something about spending 'over one hundred dollar' at Walmart. I'm not really sure exactly what he was trying to say, but it wreaked of a scam. I kept asking him to repeat himself and kept telling him I could not understand him until he finally hung up. My co-workers were quite amused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

Before returning any call like this, always go to your computer and type in scam and the phone number. Chances are, a whole bunch of complaints will appear from folks who did not heed this advice and were, indeed, scammed. You can also go to www.411.com and type the phone number in the reverse phone number look up to find out where the call originated from and, in some cases, of the name of the caller or the scammer business. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I like to try and screw with their mind and when I get what is apparently a computer call, I waste their time by just picking up the phone and not saying anything.

When I do get a live body I begin by asking them if first they will pray with me. I then begin my prayer with "Dear great horned one who is often referred to by the dumb ones as Satan. Usually they hang up.

Sometimes when I get a live body, I ask for their name and address, so that a process server will be able to find them. When they ask why I need the information, I tell them they will have to take a trip to my hometown and appear in court,
where they will be tried for invading my privacy
and I will be seeking one million dollars and payment of lawyer and court costs by them. I then remind them that a non-appearance will usually be in my favor. They usually hang up.

Other times I have asked them to send their mother, their sister or their wife. Right away phone goes dead.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Oh Yah,

Sometimes when I let a telemarketer through, ask him to speak up as I can't hears him / her.
By the time they are ready to begin shouting, then I hang up. Great fun to sit there and say I can not hear you.

Speaking in your own made up foreign language, will also get them to hang up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

So funny, I cant wait for the next "victim" to phone me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

I used to get calls from home improvement people. Had my fill. So one day I told the caller to please come as soon as possible because the bank was foreclosing on me and I had to get the house fixed up ASAP so I could sell it and get some money out of it. Never got another phone call from any of them. They must have all been connected and spread the word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I've asked them for their home number before. When they say they don't give out that information, I tell them "Why not? You got mine. I just want to call you at some inopportune time like you do me."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Hi Marvin, My wife got the same call a few days ago. She hung up on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Wait until you get a letter trying the same thing. I got one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration