Moore Transmission?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Moore Transmission?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Does anyone know much about the Moore Transmission? I have one in my 1914 Roadster. Linkage is a little loose and it can come out of gear when in the high range. It seems to work well other than that. They may not be very plentiful because there doesn't seem to be much information on them. Thanks all!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Moore suffered from having the shift detents located in the shifter thus having points of looseness in the linkage to the shifting fork. A good modification is to install detents in the case and remove from the shifter.
Yours coming out of gear can be either wear of the gears OR misadjustment of the linkage length between the detents in the shifter and the actual gear position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Thanks Layden!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Marvin, I have a Moore in the roadster buckboard I restored in 1986 and I love it. They are rubust and simple. As Layden said, the problem is most likely in the shifter and/or the linkage. The linkage at the diff on mine is bolted to the selector shaft, so no problem there. The clevis pin at the front needs to be a good slop free fit. Then the only area of concern is the shifter. Mine is the original, clamped around the torque tube. There are two pegholes into which a peg on the shifter rests when each gear is selected. These need to be a good fit too. Last, mine has a spring arrangement which keeps the lever held into the pegholes and stops rattles in the assembly.

What really comes in handy is the ability to purposely select a neutral by positioning the lever with the peg in a slot between the two peg holes. This make for easy cranking, easy pushing around the shop and also allows for towing with the back wheels on the ground.

I would like another for a second car.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

My shifter shaft seems to have slop in it. Possibly that is worn. Thanks Allan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Here's a link to a "Accessory Of The Day" post on the Moore transmission that I posted here on the Forum back in 2010.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/139700.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Jay, what a fantastic string on that forum. Moore information there than anywhere else I have found!! Thanks!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration