Improved Ford or Model A

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Improved Ford or Model A
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

I have had later brass Ts up until now, but for physical reasons I am leaning toward getting a starter equipped car. I like something a little fancier than an all black T, so an improved touring car is a thought, but I am also thinking about one of the Model A roadsters or phaetons. Thoughts of other forum contributors on their own experience in this regard would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Why not outfit one of your brass t's with a ring gear, cast iron hogs head and a starter? That's my plan when I get to that point...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

I already had my '27 Tudor but got a notion for a Model A so I got a '29 Tudor.
The '27 is still here but the A is gone.
I enjoy it far more than I ever did the Model A.
I had the Model A up to 55 mph several times but it didn't feel good.
The A felt "right" at 45 mph so it wasn't much of a trade off to keep the T....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

A properly maintained and adjusted Model A should be more then able to 50-55 all day.

(Message edited by redmodelt on May 30, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

The Model A will keep up with traffic better than a T, but it will steer harder than a T and you will need to learn to shift an A or you will grind the gears. I have had 13 Model A's over my lifetime, but enjoy the T's better. I would recommend what James Lyons said. You can keep the old hogs head and if you either want to bring it back to stock or sell it to a "purist" you can put it back on. If you do install the old hogs head the ring gear on the flywheel won't show or cause any problem with the way it drives.

Just my opinion.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 12:50 am:

I haven't driven a model A yet but when looking for a T in Feb several people I talked to said T's are a better drive. I got offered a 27 Chev for a really low price, nice car, Custom number plates plates (Chev 27) trailer load of spares etc for 40% of a T price but I didn't like driving it. I actually enjoy driving my 27 not just put up with it. This weekend is a public holiday and there is a Vintage car Rally (Irishmans Creek Rally) held close to me for pre 1931 cars. They were expecting 125 cars this year and over half them to be Model A's. Amazing how they are so popular. I saw on the net before they actually had 150 cars turn up. Tow ropes (for river fording) and snow chains are mandatory.
No I'm not tempted to take my T through rivers, I'll get a rougher one when I can afford it for that kind of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 07:02 am:

I have a 1924 T and a 1929 A. The T is a lot more fun to drive. The steering on the A is a lot heavier and the crash box requires more concentration than the T. I do prefer the horn on the Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:37 am:

We had an A first, but when we got the T, the A seldom got driven. We will get it out occasionally but Ts are more fun. I'd put a starter on what you have, if it were me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I have to "ditto" what Hal just said. Exactly same here, A first, then 5 T's. About the only time I get the poor old A out is to take the dog for a ride (she loves it) or when its pretty chilly, as all my T's are open. I'm having a ring gear put on my '12 engine rebuild this spring, in eventuality of changing over to a starter car when I become a tired old fart. Right now I'm just an old fart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I have a '31 Model A phaeton. It will be for sale soon so I can have more room for Model T's. Been driving Model A's and Model T's all my life. Been a member of all the national clubs for both cars, and local clubs too.

Model T people are just more fun than Model A people, just like the cars.

This is me wet sanding a fender in 1969:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I'm already a old fart so i'm using our Model A more and more.The ability to simply change a tire on the spot look's better to me but i think the 14 may leave before i p[imp it up with a starter? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:36 am:

I have a 1919 Touring and a late 1931 4 door sedan. They drive completely different and the Model T is more fun to drive. Having said that the Model A is used more on long trips such as driving out in Big Bend National Park where distances are huge. I do trailer both cars when the driving is far off. Those that have hard steering on their Model A's might want to refurbish their king pins and steering box. My 1931 is the most heavy of all Model A's as it is 99% metal and a four door and I have no problems with the steering. At the end of the day on really long drives the Model A is my preference. On winding back country roads where the scenery is the object of the drive I prefer the Model T. having one of each is heaven!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

i love my '11 ford as it takes me to an era i would never have a chance to experience. my model a sport coupe reminds me of the rapid advances in automotive technology during the '30's. i fully restored it and have no problems with steering or double clutching. in fact i rather enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

I'm blessed enough to have both. They are completely different to drive. Both are fun to own and drive. I do prefer T's, but have put over 10,000 miles on my 28 Phaeton since I have owned it. I have put a starter, and demountables on my 14, as I drive this car a lot. Of course I have kept all the original parts for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 02:24 am:

Back when I drove the model A fairly regularly, I would run into folks who would get their A up to about 48MPH, and no faster, "because it was vibrating too much." But if they'd just push on, at about 52 MPH it would smooth out. Could run all day at 55.
But yes, driving the T is more interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 08:20 am:

People call the Model A trans a crash box but if you do not use first it's much better. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ninedorf on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Greetings,
I have Model A & T on ebay at the moment. Dad built up both, you will see he has installed distributors, starter, and generator on both T's. He & Mom went for a ride in the back yard with these cars. Dad restored a trophy winning 1928 AR Model A, multi-disc clutch like a motorcycle and other non-standard parts. Please take a look at these cars and contact me for more info. My ebay name is d9dorf, 1928 Model A Sport Coupe, 1924 Model T Depot Hack, 1922 Model T light truck custom, 1928-29 Model A Sport Coupe rusty body only, and I also have a rusty Model T heavy truck to be sold next, and a rusty 1928-9 Model A Sport Coupe on the frame with fenders and lots more parts, including running board luggage expandable, a brass radiator, 3 Model T turtle decks, and lots more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

The first car that I learned how to drive in was my Dads 29 model A Ford closed cab p/u. which we still have. Besides my restored 1929 model A Ford roadster p/u, I also have our 13 model T touring. I enjoy driving both cars for different reasons. Life is good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:15 am:

The black Model T's are the quintessential car that put America
on the road. Nothing "plain" about that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Burger - That' an interesting comment you just made! As much as I love the brass era Model T's, for the most part, it's the black era Model T's that are most remembered, partly because by far the largest part of that 15 million were the black ones, especially in the peak years of '23, '24 & '25, an also because it stands to reason the the few ol' timers that are left would naturally better remember cars of eighty-some years ago better than those of ninety-some or a hundred years ago. There was a time when the brass ones were thought of as "old fashioned" when the newer more modern (for the times) styled black radiator T's came out,.....just the opposite of how many of us "T-folks" feel about them now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:49 am:

One of each would be best but for a daily driver or real long trips the A does the job a lot easier and safer. The T is cheaper the buy and maintain and more fun to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:16 am:

I think everything is plane about the black T's as they started with a good looking advanced car for the times and untill the Improved Car only built and sold them cheaper!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration