Rear Axle Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Axle Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Dingler, Crowley Texas on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Torn down my first rear axle today.
Few pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Dingler, Crowley Texas on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Broken pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but that top axle shaft looks pretty worn. It's a good thing you got those Babbitt thrust washers out of there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Broken u joint pins are par for the course . I think if it were mine I would install new axle shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Black gold, Texas tea.. :-)..I agree with Steve and Ted, that new axles should be in your future along with a new U-Joint. What does your ring and pinion and bearings look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Dingler, Crowley Texas on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:14 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:45 am:

Donnie, like usual the ring gear takes all the abuse and looks pretty beat up. I would suggest replacing them both...Also look into the "fun products" drive-shaft bearing"..its a great improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 01:51 am:

Its actually Fun Projects..sorry bout that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:42 am:

The pinion is usable, If you can find an ok ring gear you could pair them up and it will work OK. If you decide to replace both gears, I would be interested in the pinion. I agree about the axles. On my next re-build I want to try some new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Donnie,

It looks like every T axle I take apart. Hardly any good parts in there :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Too bad about the axle shafts. Had they not been used with the hubs running loose, they look to be otherwise nice. Chances are, your rear wheel hubs are also similarly messed up. Using new axles, but keeping hubs with worn out keyways, will soon result on worn out keyways in you new axles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration