Auction report: A Rhapsody in Junque

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Auction report: A Rhapsody in Junque
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

I took the day off and drove down into Okieland this morning for the second Carl Davis estate sale at Cleveland. The first one, last fall, was mostly vehicles, mostly rough, and mostly postwar, but there was some good Model T stuff too. Today's sale wasn't as huge, but was also a mixture of mostly rough, mostly postwar stuff, with a little sprinkling of Model A and Model T parts.

Model A body & wheels on a T frame.

What came home with me: Hayes felloe, $1;
Steering column, $2; Rear axle, $2.50; 8-31-23 engine #8305980, $10. Gary Wilson, who helped the auctioneers lay out the goods, told me they found the engine under a house, so it was out of the weather and still turns. It happens that this engine was made the same day as the one for my TT project, #8309863.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 05:09 am:

You probably spent more money on gas than you did parts! Hopefully still a good deal and you had fun.
Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:41 am:

My god why can't I find deals like that. That was basically given away. Good score though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Wayne, I figure the gas cost almost three times what I spent at the auction. Still, the total is well under $100. I figure that's pretty good for a 1924 block that looks usable, plus the transmission on it that may have some good drums.

It wasn't all bargains. One guy paid $400 for a 26-27 block with the serial number rusted off. A couple of other guys got into a bidding war over a 42" sheet metal brake from the thirties, which also went for $400.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Thanks for the pics Steve. That is close to my Grandparents old family farm and where all my aunts/uncles and cousins still live. My family even owns a restaurant and a store on main street in Cleavland. They never call me about any good Oklahoma auctions (they never go to them either). Glad you found a few things ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:15 am:

What did the old sedan body with wire wheels bring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Steve - Ref. your picture of the Model A body & wheels on a T frame:

Looks like Model A wheels on that front axle, which looks like a Model T axle,....makes me wonder if there might have been a pair of "adaptors" there that you missed,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Jack, I don't recall. I wasn't interested in buying it, so didn't pay close attention.

Harold, probably so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 03:43 am:

:-( wow...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Wow that's a good haul Steve! Don't see many if any Auctions or sales around here in Central Texas any more with old parts like that.

What caught my eye was the engine. If I would have been lucky enough to get it the first thing I would do is too remove the transmission and put it in a tub for a good soak in mineral spirits, diesel, and thinner.

I have 2 so called rusted up transmissions I revived and one was in great shape.

In a few days after soaking that transmission will free up. You might be surprised like I was how good shape they can be..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration