Mystery body panels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mystery body panels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Can anyone identify what car these panels are for?Body panels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Thomas,

To me they do not look like Ford Model T panels.

Without some type of hint at what size they are it makes it much more difficult.

I would suggest you put a yard stick next to the parts we folks can judge if it is 15 inches or 30 inches wide etc. Also a 3 dimensional display, so we can better see what is what. In your photo above I would guess the top panel is the curved lower side section on the front seat of a roadster or the rear seat of a touring. But there isn't enough to go on from a single photo etc. Additionally -- do those two parts go together or do you know? And I would guess the lower one might be the same part but from the other side of the car. But I cannot tell the depth from the photo. Is it relatively flat or is curved inward at the bottom like the top panel?

Any way, addition photos with something to judge the size would probably increase the chances of someone recognizing it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Here is a 1922 Ford Coupe panel. I'm sorry but it's the best shot I have of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Hap - the panels are exact opposites of each other. The panel on the left has the outer side showing and the panel on the right has the inner side showing.

Dennis looks to be correct about being for a coupe. I was thinking they were the upper portion of a body hence the way I had them turned in the photo. They should have been rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise to be in the proper orientation.

Thanks to both of you for clearing this up for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Thomas - Not trying to be disagreeable, but they sure don't look like "exact opposites of each other". Maybe one is leaning at a slightly different angle than the other, but they just don't look the same to me. Not that any of this helps, as I sure don't know what they are, but I will say that at first glance, coupe rear quarter panel did come to mind. Somebody will know,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:36 am:

Here they are on the car. These are photos of my rebuild the car is now complete and on the road. I lost 90% of my documented rebuild photos when my computer crashed so I would suggest any pictures you take save on a back up system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:40 am:

Harold - check Thomas pictures again, they're mirrored parts seen from the outside and from the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:47 am:

Harold,

With a flat photo it can be visualized differently depending on how you think and look at it. I have seen a photo that when you rotate it 180 degrees the bumps on the side of the tank now appear as dents. Why? Because our brain tends to assume that the light is from above so the shadow would be below. That works for most items outside in natural light. That is why I recommended some photos from the top, side, back etc. That gives us the extra information we need so our brain can visualize it better.

Below are three photos lined up just to make it easier to see the parts.

I flipped the photo above but the others were only rotated.

Great job of ID'ing the parts. Caution -- there may have been some other car with a very similar coupe body. Visually the 1903 Cadillac and 1903 Ford bodies look very similar. They were both made by C.R. Willson Carriage Company (later body company) but there are some differences in the size and shape of the body etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holger T. Berthelsen on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

Sent you a P/M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/546395.html?143325512

Maybe this car?

Vince

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration