Generator rotation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Generator rotation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

I need a little help here , just finished rebuilding my generator .Which direction should the generator rotate when bench testing for rotation , looking at the gear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

CW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

You should first lift the third brush and try if the generator rotates with battery power. If it does, try loosen the four small screws in the back end and turn the whole brush plate slightly until the rotor won't rotate.

After you let the third brush back down it should rotate in the proper clockwise rotation as John wrote above. Adjust the third brush until it draws x amperes ( I think the club booklet writes 11 amps, but it may be a bit high?) and put it on the engine for a final test and adjustment.

Correct setting of the charging depends on how much you drive with the lights on, etc - but the generator doesn't like to produce more than about 10 amps at 7 volts continiously, that's 70w. Much more and it risks overheating and won't last long.

(Message edited by Roger K on May 31, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

When setting up the generator you need to find the null point, where it does not want to rotate CW or CCW. This is done by adjusting the brush plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Thanks a lot , at first it was rotating ccw, I then changed the leeds from the field and it was rotating cw. Just need to get it back in the car and set the third brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I should have added but "wants" to rotate CW. Unless you have one of those funky field windings the leads should be crossed.

(Message edited by redmodelt on May 31, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration