At some point in a Model T restoration the time comes when you reach the ďbeginning of the endĒ. We have been working on my brother Jimís 1911 T for just over four years. Yesterday we picked up the freshly painted body and put it on the chassis. A lot of the major restoration work is already done and the car is starting to go back together.
The blue color was copied from a friendís 1911 IHC. The fenders, hood, splash shield, and wheels will be the same color. We did the upholstery work. It was done in leather stuffed with horsehair. The chassis is black.
For background on Jimís car I will refer you to this post on the forum: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/204111.html The car was purchased from the Ford dealer in Dublin, GA. We hoped to be able to do some mechanical work and get the car on the road. Unfortunately it just had too many problems to make a quick fix possible. Plan B turned into a full restoration. The basic car had problems but was not molested too badly. Most of the hard to find 1911 parts were still on the car. The early Tís were hand built (they pre-date the assembly line) and it has been interesting to see how the workmen put the car together. Also the quality control on a lot of the machined parts was poor or nonexistent so a lot of work has been expended to correct problems.
We have taken many photos during the restoration and they are posted at this link for those who are interested: http://1drv.ms/1LVlZ13
Alan, It has been years since I saw that car down in Dublin in the early 60s. Good to see it going back together. I wish I knew the whereabouts of the 1910 that sat at Brooks Garage in Decatur Ga back in the fifties. It was sold somewhere up north. Good job!
Wow! that is one good looking car! You guys should be very proud.
Absolutely amazing. Wonderful work and documentation. I am seriously impressed by the amount of the work you did yourselves, particularly the metal fabrication, upholstery and lamp restoration.
Please keep us posted on your progress!!!!!
Alan & Jim-
I, too am impressed by the amount of work you did yourself. I hope you re-used as much of the original hardware and re-installed it the same manner, like the crooked windshield clip!
On my car the bolts there had a center punch mark in the threads so the nut would not back off.
Nice work on all the sheetmetal you had to remake. Great idea for making the template for the seat back! Your upholstery works looks great, too. Lucky you, to have a pattern!
Are you going to used the original windshield spacer board? I would if the finish of the new firewall can be matched.
I'm glad you are taking measurements for your pinstriping.
I like your pitman & drag link replacement balls!
Is the body number on the bottoms of the back doors?
Nice, nice, nice!!!
You guys should be proud of this car.
: ^ )
Nice pictures Alan. You guys do great work!
Thanks for the compliments. We have another brother Dan who is a Model T owner and also posts on this forum from time to time. Dan has also participated in restoration of Jim's car. Jim, Dan, and I have been working on T's and other prewar cars since we were teenagers. We are all now in our 50's. The other important person in this restoration is my dad Ray. He is 87 years old and got us all started in the hobby. He has spent a lot of hours in the shop working on this car. Over the years we have learned and developed the skills needed to restore T's and other cars. If you want to accomplish a restoration badly enough you will figure out how to do it.
On this car we have tried to use the original hardware and parts as much as possible. We do plan to use the original dash filler board and will create a separate post on it later. It has something unusual on it that we want to share.
The only pin striping we have found on the car was on the springs. There was no evidence of any striping on the body.
The body number is on the car (and was preserved). It matches the number on the original documents. Check the original posts linked above to see specific information from the build documents.
Prior to working on the this car we had never done tufted upholstery. Information on how to do it is scarce and we finally just dove it and did it. Looking at the original upholstery was fabricated was a big help in determining how to recreate it. We have two more cars that will need to be upholstered in the next year or so.
If anyone has specific questions about the restoration let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
Awesome work gentlemen! I'm either working to restored a 1911 since 2010 and not finish yet but keeping faith
Beautiful! (I keep looking again)