Question about muffler on a 19

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about muffler on a 19
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

I am swapping a motor on my 19 and Found that the exhaust pipe just slides into the muffler a couple inches.
The muffler has cast ends and a single bolt.
Is this normal or should there be some packing - clamp etc.?

BTW we are having fun with the motor swap.
Learning a lot and spending quality time with my son.

My wife is asking when we are going to begin working on HER model A!
-- I thought it was the one I drove to HS in the early 60's so I thought it was mine. I guess I was mistaken! :-)

Life dosen't get much better than this! :-) Just need my 2 granddaughters here to make it complete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Hi Fred,

Yes, the pipe is a not snug, but not too loose fit into the cast iron mufflers. It can't be tight as there is a need for a bit of flex. If it is too loose, you could use a tail pipe expander to ever so slightly enlarge the end of the pipe to reduce rattle.

Hope that this helps and good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

I might be wrong but the muffler is bolted to the chassis in two places, front and rear. The muffler pipe just slides in, no need for clamps.
At least that is how my 1917 was set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 03:04 am:

Mufflers with cast ends were mounted to the frame both front and rear. Later mufflers with pressed steel ends only had the rear end fastened to the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Thanks - This muffler has cast ends and they are both mounted to the frame.

Bill - I think the pipe is tight enough - I was surprised that it was a slip fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Needs to be slip fit, the exhaust pipe expands and contracts during the heat cycle, and does it get hot! :-) If it was tight, something would have to give esp with the cast iron ends bolted tight to the frame. The later mufflers were hung with a single sheet metal bracket in the rear this would allow some flex. The Model A uses a single hanger in the rear, it's a loose fit and allows the tail pipe to slide.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration