Brake Rod Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake Rod Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I'm installing new brake rods in my '23 roadster. They were missing when I got the car. They obviously need to be bent. Where should I bend them?

Also, I need to install the brake rod support brackets. It looks like they are held on with carriage bolts. Where do they go?

Thanks,

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

I am guessing you are making your own? There is an up and over where they cross the radius rods. The support brackets fit towards the back someplace where they put a little tension on the rods when in the off position but don't bind when you pull the rods forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

I bought new rods. They have the bend to clear the radius rods but are otherwise straight. I see no old holes or other signs where the support brackets might have been.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Ford Service

Chapter XVII

The rod support clips under the radius rod. Place the support first, sliding it down the rod, they are left and right supports, be sure to place them the correct way.

Fit rods, adjust, test brakes. Then slide the clip up or down the radius rod so you get tension, not too much, just enough to keep rattles down. Secure carriage bolt with nut in the holes of the support.

Sometimes you can see the wear place on the radius rod where the support has been since factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Thanks, Dan. I assume I should make the inward bend on the rod as close to the axle as I can.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Phil,

You don't bend the end of the rod at all. There should be a clevis on the end of the rod. The clevis straddles the brake actuator arm, then a pin goes through there, held by a cotter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Phil

As Dennis posted, don't bend radical.

You may have to do a tiny 'offset' tweak at the rear cam lever clevis, just to be sure the yoke fits smooth to the lever and rotates nice on the clevis pin.

Otherwise you want a straight pull to make for effective parking/emergency brakes.

The brake rod and the rod support are an assembly, you fit the support first, before you screw on the threaded clevis yoke to the cross shaft. Now sometimes to get a nice fit at the adjustable clevis, you can bend or tweak the cross shaft arm for the clevis pin to make it line up nice and smooth with the brake rod clevis.

The 'ear' of the rod support wraps around the brake rod. That has to be smooth action too, don't clamp that support ear to the brake rod.

And as always with the Model T, all moving parts get a dab of grease, or spot of oil on assembly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

FORD SERVICE

Pg.160 (653) Install brake rod support on radius rod, approximately 18'' from bolt holes in forked end of radius rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Barney on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

I removed the brake rods on my ''23 Roadster to adjust the brakes and discovered lots of tension as soon as I disconnected the clevis pins. I took out the bends except for the bend which allows the rods to clear the radius rods, ran a tap over the threads externally and internally on the rods and clevis and re-installed. The support bracket is just about mid-ship on the rods and attaches to the frame. There should be a hole in the frame at the attachment point. If there is anything unique to a '23 Roadster I could possibly help with,feel free to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

I just removed support brackets from two 20-25 rear radius rods In order to clean all the rust off everything and noticed that both rods had "Ford" stamped on the sides of them. Both support brackets were installed just in front of this mark. I don't know if it Is just a coincidence or if the markings were used as a reference point to install the brackets. The radius rods came from a pile of rods that I have and most likely not from the same car. Anyway I thought it interesting enough to mention .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration