Wheel Runout ... how to fix?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheel Runout ... how to fix?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

My wheels have severe runout and wobble. Probably about an inch per revolution in some cases. Make for a wobbly ride. I'm thinking it can be fixed though. But I'm only guessing as to how. I assume jack of the wheel, spin it to check for the runout, then loosen the hub bolts and ?????

Any threads or techniques on how to fix this? I was on a NoKen T's tour Saturday, and saw cars that had PERFECT wheel runout... How can I get that? TIA, Doogie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Front or rear?

If rear, may be more to the issue like bent axle shafts or worn bearings.

If front, may be bearings too.

Demountable rims? The rims could be out of round, or rim bolts/nuts loose or worn lug holes, causing the rims to go off center.

Are spokes loose? That will cause wobble for sure.

The truest wheels are ones that have been rebuilt/re-spoked and round again, with new rims, and bolts. But those have to turn on true axles and bearings :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Thanks Dan. Actually, these are rebuilt a couple years ago (by me)

Rear axles are new, rebuilt entire rear end with all new bearings and axle shafts after an almost disastrous outing on the Ohio Jamboree in Marietta. (M solid Roller Pinion Bearing slowly disintegrated throwing chunks through the ring and pinion. I stopped and rode with someone else before it got bad - Same thing that afflicted Bud Scudders' Car a few years later).

I re-spoked the wheels, and they turned out beautiful, but have massive runout. Enough to shake your eye-teeth loose! How do I correct that? I can watch 'em wobble down the road if I lean out the car enough! Maybe I should have let a professional do 'em?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:20 am:

Are they demountables? If so, is the runout in the spoke + felloe part or in the rims?
There is a risk you may have to take them apart again if the spokes and felloes has a lot of runout. But rear axles can be bent as Dan writes, check carefully how each wheel actually wobbles with the axle lifted and the wheel turning.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration