Boat tailed Speedster-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Boat tailed Speedster-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Supposedly from Wisconsin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Neat car, but I'd call it a "torpedo tail" not a boat tail.
BRRR!! too cold fer me!
Is that an oversized steering wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Hafta' kinda' wonder what sort of event brought that particular group together? Logical thoughts would be a wedding or a funeral, however, a speedster is not the type vehicle you'd connect with a wedding or a funeral! And they're dressed entirely too well for a union meeting! Trees and snow suggest upper midwest,.....Chicago maybe or suburbs? Maybe 'da boss brought in a few a 'da boys 'ta take care a somebody mov'n in on our action, huh? :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Hockey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

MG - I think you're right! I just now noticed the three words under the photo,...."Supposedly from Wisconsin"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Looks like it may be a Faultless body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

College group .???? Most look fairly young except the 2 or three on right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Derek - It may no longer be "faultless" after that bunch has been climbing all over it, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

I don't think it is a Faultless. It looks a lot like the Champion I used to have.

The Faultless tail begins taller, goes more straight back, then kinks down (difficult to see through all those people). The Champion cowl and tail start lower, then the tail slopes down to a point in the back.
The body side seam visible in the top photo also looks how I recall mine to have been.
Great photo!
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:51 am:

Wayne, was that Champion body of yours all just single curves? Looks like one wouldn't be rocket science to replicate. You know, for when the day comes that I build a speedster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Am I the only on thinking that's a lot of weight on the hood support rod?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:55 am:

"Get off my hood!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

That's a typically Faultless style body apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Here is a boat tail, it slows down as we pass a fish market ;~)

boat tail

boat tail more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Where's the anchor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

In the driver's seat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Tim E, et al,
The curves are not flat, are compound, but not very deep.

That car, when I bought the remains of it, was considered unrestorable. It had been wrecked decades before, then junked, and mostly parted out. When I first walked over to it, it was lying on the ground, and I came upon it from its "good" side. I leaned over the tail and looked down to see the original floor/body wood. Figuring that half the tail was missing, I walked away. I walked around, looking at other things, thinking about the car. I really wanted a boat-tail. I figured that maybe I could make the missing side. So I went back and looked closer.
I discovered that the side was not missing!. In the wreck, nearly the entire left side of the tail was torn loose from the wood and shoved inside the right side of the tail! I straightened the whole thing.
That car is the one that first caused me to say the words "I would rather have a wrinkled original than a perfect copy any day". I still say that. But unfortunately, I had to sell that car about twenty years ago. I really wish I still had it.

Good tails can be built out of steel by a variety of methods.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Jerry V O,
Yes, it could be Faultless. As I said, difficult to see through all those people.

Great photo! Thank you Herb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Here is another boat tail, complete with fish tail exhaust !!! My kids also made up s short rod and foam fish to hang out of the trunk.boattail

Hope you like it.
Allan from down under

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration