Non-electric Improved Car Thread

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Non-electric Improved Car Thread
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Recently- either earlier this year or late last year there was a thread on non-electric Improved cars. Specifically, the thread highlighted the amp gauge-delete ignition panel that came with these vehicles. Does anyone remember what thread that was? The search engine on the Forum is impossible to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

This?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/468300.html?1407890612

If so, next time you want to find something on the forum, use the Google search window, and type what you are looking for, followed by the letters MTFCA.

Such as :

"Non-electric Improved Car Thread MTFCA"

without the quotes.

I agree, the Forum search function leaves something to be desired, but so much else in/on the Forum is so great, I try to overlook that deficiency.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Thanks Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Ron, I also have trouble with the search feature. It looks like Dave found the thread for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 11:38 am:

He did Donnie. Am going to try the Google search from now on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

So, this arrived in the mail today - found it on EBay for a decent price. Honestly think it's NOS. The switch is exceptionally tight and clicks crisply into each position. The tumbler shows absolutely zero wear and there is no evidence of screws being put in the mounting holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Ron: Nice find, I have seen the non starter switches solid black like yours, black with the letters painted white, and nickel plated. I have only seen one nickel plated version, so not absolutely sure someone in the past did not have it plated. Strange things happened in the 50s and 60s era. But it was nickel plated and not chrome. What in the world does a doodlebug guy want with a non starter switch .?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:45 am:

It seems that not all cost cutting was down to the bone on the non starter T's, a 27 came into my shed for a rebuild last week and the fly wheel still has a very nice un-used starter ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:49 am:

With what would have been involved it would seem dumb if only to me not to have the ring gear installed?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Frank and Kenneth. When starters became available in 1919 models, all the non starter engines came with a ring gear and block off plates for the starter and generator. There possibly could have been a few exceptions in the very early 1919 models, as Henry was using up remaining stock. But I am unaware of any exceptions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Ron, Whats the gismo wired into the switch? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Scott, It's a dimmer coil that is recommended for all non battery equipped Fords that uses the magneto to power the headlights. It cuts the top voltage spikes from the magneto that usually kills magneto bulbs in 1915-17 cars that didn't get dimmer coils from Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Donnie- it may get used on the power unit or the saw rig in place of a three-way blade switch (assuming the mag is hot on the power unit - unknown at this time - or on the replacement engine for the saw mill - also unknown at this time). Both are non-starter engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Roger - thank you. You answered not only Scott's question, but mine as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:13 am:

The switch is not NOS, but is in great shape. Another interesting aspect of this switch is the Ford script at the bottom. Never have seen one. Usually they say Briggs and Stratton or Caskee Dupree or something like that. Great find for a '26. Also, I don't believe Ford offered a non starter car in 1927. Would someone care to correct me on that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Larry, as far as all records I have seen, is that the non starters were phased out in 26 and not offered in 1927. Now it could be possible that some old farmer wanting to save some money had the Dealer "remove" the starter equipment from a 1927. and a smart dealer would do that so as not to lose a sale. not likely but could have happened. and I am unsure about 1927 TT trucks. If buying trucks for a "fleet" some companies ordered non starters. It saved a lot of money and the companies believed that you work for the company, you are paid by the company, your time belongs to the company, so you can hand crank the companies vehicles. So "fleet" truck buyers may have been able to "special order in 27. ??? but that is just my opinions ... not based in fact ..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration