Slightly OT - Ammeter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Slightly OT - Ammeter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

I'm definitely NOT a member of the "spelling police", for several reasons, including the fact that my spelling's not the greatest (and my punctuation is even worse) however, as the "crotchety ol' guy" that my wife tells me I've become, there are a few things that do sorta' "bug" me:

Again, don't take this wrong, but as a member of the Model T "community", a group dedicated to the preservation of what I'll call "automotive type American history", I think we should all strive to also preserve automotive terminology as it relates to antique and classic cars.

In that regard, one term that I see slipping away, more and more, is the term "ammeter". In this "high tech" society we live in, in the case of that particular dashboard instrument, I see the ammeter becoming an "amp guage", or "amp gage", or worse yet, an "amp meter". Please guys,....at least on our old Model T's, it's an "AMMETER"!

There! Now I feel better!

And by the way, having mentioned "dashboard", the term "ammeter" and "dashboard" just seem to go well together, don't you think?

Thanx for putting up with my "rant',.....didn't really intend that, but I guess that's probably what it is,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Hi Harold,

I concur.

Before dashboard became the accepted term, that piece was often called instrument board.

It's OK Harold. You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I have always called it a Amp meter when it comes to cars. I've owned hundreds of cars in my life, mostly 50's - 70's and most had several gauges, usually including one with "Amp" written on the face -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:19 am:

That's okay Kevin,....my "rant" was basically for us American "blokes",.....you folks "down under" and the British have your own names for lots of automotive terms, and we understand that,....that's a different sort of thing.

Come to think of it, the British still have Lucas, and I think the whole world has some special names for that stuff, and a lot of it is "unprintable"! I guess that would be "the bloody amp meter" in the U.K., but here in the states, we'd call a Lucas ammeter "the *%@#&! ammeter", because it usually doesn't work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:53 am:

Its funny you say that Harold and I've read similar comments on several other posts. I have never had an issue with any Lucas product and considering the majority of my vehicles have been English I've had experience with heaps of them, in fact I have always regarded Lucas as a quality product for some reason, they were always expensive and the choice of expensive English makes. I guess since I've said this they will start playing up for me lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Ford ammeters don't say anything except Ford, with the exception of the first ones, which say Ford Motor Co. I believe there were a half dozen companies that made them for Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Makes sense to me ...never hurts to a least try to get it right.

BTW tell your wife that you are an official member of the curmudgeon club and as such you can be a crotchety as you want. (I'll wait here while you do that ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

It has been said that every county has it's own famous inventors; for example, America has Edison, the Light Bulb, and Tesla, the AC power system (and a whole lot of other stuff) and England has Lucas, who invented the short-circuit!
:-)
BTW, I call reference to the Blueprint for the Lucas headlight switch which has the following positions noted: Off, On, Flicker.
:-)
Now we won't go into Smith gauges. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Ford T ammeters

They say Amperes on the face Larry.

And my favorite the "Hoyt"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I remember Lucas from the days I owned an MGA. We referred to them as "Lucas Prince of Darkness"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration