Were spark/timing rods and steering shaft originally painted or left bare?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Were spark/timing rods and steering shaft originally painted or left bare?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:47 am:

am ready to install steering and would like to know how these parts were originally finished.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Mostly they were left unpainted by Ford.
If you don't like a rusty engine compartment you may want to paint them with some clear coat paint (or black paint as I do with most of the parts)

Here is one prior discussion: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/445536.html?1400216996

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Thank you very much, Roger.

I was certain that this was covered in the past, but I can't make the search function work lately.

regards,

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 09:37 am:

I always thought those parts were un-painted too, but when I was looking at the Rip Van Winkle last week, the steering shaft sure looked like it was painted to me. Didn't think of looking at the spark and throttle rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 09:43 am:

If it's anything like the randomness of the T's assembly in general then it's entirely likely that some were painted and some were not. Probably without a whole lot of rhyme or reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:14 am:

It's likely the practice changed over the years and at what assembly plant the car was built.
What year T are you building, Scott?

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#steer

1919-1920
"The spark and throttle rods were also changed to zinc plated at the handles, and black painted below, and remained this way until July 26, 1926"

"The Assembly and Change letters from the home plant to the branches has been a rich source of information on how Model Ts were built in the 20s. In several of these letters the home plant advised the branches not to paint the lower part of the steering column that was beneath the hood. The idea being that if the parts were painted, customers would not be able to see the quality steel that was used in the construction of these columns.

There is a letter from the San Francisco branch to the home office dated 5/22/26. It says: In recent assembly change letters we were again advised that the lower part of the steering column, part T-5042 was not to be painted, so as to allow the public to see the quality of the material which was embodied in the steering post.

In checking over cars in the territory, we find that cars that have been out any length of time become very rusty and very dirty, and the quality of material does not show.

Due to this, do you not think it is advisable to white shellac or apply the white coat of Pyroxylin on the lower part of the steering column so as to keep this material in A1 condition at all times and also assuring the public just what is assembled in the steering post."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Roger
the quote you printed from the 1926 letter was something I had recalled reading somewhere. Thank you for bringing it to the fore.

BTW. I am building a 1923 low cowl/steel firewall roadster. I have posted progress pix on the wood off and on for a few years. The sheet metal is finally done and installed and the whole thing is rolling and (almost) steering now. FUN!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration