OT Non Ford Advice Sought

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Non Ford Advice Sought
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Just started to do a mockup for my Maxwell top and would appreciate opinions and advice. I plan on having a full canvas top with the front being collapsible. I dismantled an old set of top irons and plan on using the main bow and the one attached to it. Does it appear somewhat correct for the WWI period? when I collapse it the front bow will be 34 inches long and will stick way above the top. I've found period photos showing truck tops that stick way up but it isn't the most appealing look. I've come up with an idea where I drill out the rivet that holds that front bow and replace the rivet with a male threaded wing nut that is removeable allowing me to drop the tall bow off it's mount and store it down lower on the rear bow mount. Is there an original or reproduction wingnut from a Model T I can buy?
If so what do I look for and what size would the male threaded part be?

Howard DennisMaxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Just my opinion:

I would set the second bow straight up and down, like a roadster or touring, instead of leaning forward as show in your photo.

Then, I would attach the first bow further up on the on the second bow, also like a roadster or touring, so there is more clearance to get in and out of the vehicle.

The second bow should also have two eyelets for attaching the first bow. An upper eyelet when the top is up and a lower eyelet for when the top is down. Again, just like a roadster or touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Thanks Erik, The problem with your suggestion is that back bow is 9 inches away from the bow behind the seat that will remain attached to the bed. If I stand the bow straight up I might as well remove it entirely and attach the middle bow to the stationary bow behind the seat which would then cause the header bow to be extremely long to span from behind the seat to the windshield post.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Erik, I was going out the door when I made a quick reply to you. I've since gone out to the garage with your idea in mind and made another choice. Since I'm trying to portray a WWI truck, it would have been the simplest to use and lightest possible solution. By using just the back bow, I think I can remove the center bow entirely and move the back bow attachment point up high on the stationary bow behind the seat and let it be the single bow spanning the seat to the windshield. When I wanted to collapse the top I could remove it from high up on the bow and attach it to the lower mount down low on the stationary bow. The removeable bow would be almost as tall as the stationary bow and would store well strapped to the stationary bow behind the seat.
What do you think?

Howard Dennis

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration