Broken headlamp housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Broken headlamp housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

I was trying to free the old light socket bulb from my one headlamp housing when the shell that holds the socket cam out. It looks as if 4 little dimples held the socket housing in the headlamp housing. So my question is, how should I reattach these to make a solid piece again? See the pics below, as you can see, I split the metal on the headlamp housing when it all came apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Chad, there is enough contact area between the socket and the lamp body that soft solder would be ok. Note, I wrote SOLDer, not sodder!!Ha Ha.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Unless you are determined to fix what you have, I would suggest you put an ad on the MTFCA classifieds and get another headlight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Wire brush every thing really good and solder it back in place. Just did this yesterday and it worked great.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Chad - Allan's right. I've fixed them exactly as he described - no issues. You can save it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

My other idea tonight was to spot weld it from the inside. I'll clean it up and try the solder first I think.

Ted, finding another one would be foolish for this doodlebug. No need to put something TOO nice on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

While you are at it, if you are going to install new bulbs you might want to turn that sleeve 90 degrees as the new bulbs have the filiments oriented wrong. you will also have to re drill the focus screw hole but you will have better head lights. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration