1911 Australian T vs 1911 United States T...which would you prefer and why?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1911 Australian T vs 1911 United States T...which would you prefer and why?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 04:24 am:

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/cars-for-sale/1911-FORD-MODEL-T-JCW3664740?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291481017750?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:17 am:

The Australian one. The steering wheel is on the wrong side on the other one (smiley face!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:57 am:

The USA T also has the steering wheel on the wrong side...many USA made luxury cars were still RHD in 1911. Come to think of it, maybe that's why the Model K didn't sell well???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:01 am:

By the way, 1AUD = 0.78USD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Haven't you followed Rob's research here, Constantine? ;)
The Ford six did indeed sell well compared to other sixes in the same price class in the US at the time. Cheaper cars sells in larger volumes and that was the route Ford eventually took. But the dealers and Ford earned more from selling the "K" in 1906 then from selling the cheaper model N, I think. But that's off topic for this thread. I'd take both '11:s if I had the money :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 06:47 am:

With the currency exchange that makes it around $28.5K U.S. Not a bad price, except for getting it here!
And why are they white? Have yet to read anywhere that they came out of the factory that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 07:45 am:

I had forgotten that the early ones were all RHD.
Both US made? When did Canada start producing our ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Russell, Ford in Canada started in 1905, building the same models as USA, just in smaller numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 08:05 am:

No, early T's were all LHD, RHD production didn't start until 1909 production had run for some time, it's uncertain when they were first introduced since the records aren't complete for the early cars (a fire in the Ford archives in 1970 destroyed lots of the early records) but the first documented RHD car was #2436 assembled Apr 21, 1909 and then shipped to Australia.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/75508.html?1229529258

See this thread about an early RHD two lever chassis with some interesting discussion whether it's a fabrication or not? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/239346.html?1323849406

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Neither of those cars was actually built in 1911 originally. I say get the one you like best. I like the one with the Laurel Roof overhead. You could always make it RHD if that was important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:37 am:

The 2ed one does not have much that "IS REAL" 1911 if you read the description as most of it's reproduction or later parts.
Very nice looking speedster in the style of a 1911 in my OP.
Ad does says it comes with 1911 engine. Buy it now for $35,000 and it doesn't even have the proper tail light nor do I see a prestolite tank or gas generator so lamps might be electric.
If you want a car that looks like a 1911 Torpedo but has some power under the hood, might not be a bad price.
Between the two cars, funny they are both white, which one has the correct fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

The Australian car is familiar to me and I can quite honestly say you wont find a better one. The owner, a very nice chap, has been a long time into model T's and has helped me out several times over the years.
The engine builder is widely regarded as the best in the country.
The American car looks very nice too. It's just that the car is built to drive on the "right" side and not the "correct" side of the road side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

Here's a shot of the Aussie car taken a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

#2436 Came from Detroit.
Assemble line documentation [of which i have ]shows it to be built in LHD.
When the remains were found it was in LHD form.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration