Pinion 11 tooth vs 10 tooth

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pinion 11 tooth vs 10 tooth
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 08:20 am:

I need advice re the difference in drivability between a 10 and 11 tooth pinion gear? Diff has a damaged 11 tooth. I have a good 10 tooth in the parts bucket.
Use it or wait until I get a good 11 tooth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 08:24 am:

It depends on your type of driving. I switched from an 11 to a 10 in our Fordor, and it was a good move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Most T'ers who has repaired a rear axle and bought a new set of gears would have a decent 11 tooth pinion extra for you since it's mostly the ring gear that takes the beating in a used set. If it's for the '23 roadster pick up in your profile, I wouldn't recommend anything but a 11 tooth. 10 tooth pinions are best for heavy Fordors and hacks in mountainous areas.

How's the landscape in your area? Mountains, flatland or just mixed with hills?

(Message edited by Roger K on June 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:18 am:

I have to agree with the last two posts. I went the other way and changed my Runabout from a 10 tooth to an 11 tooth. It was a good move in my mixed terrain area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Roger, yes it's for my '23 Roadster. No challenging hills in this neck of the woods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Unless you have an overdrive you'd best stick with the 11 tooth.
If you are using an old original Warford then definitely go with 10 tooth.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration