Help identifying axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help identifying axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Heitke on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

I purchased an axle listed as a T axle for re-sale at swap meets and know next to nothing about T's other than they are cool old fords and my mom and dad both learned to drive in one :-). If someone can help identify what I have that would be awesome. Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I believe that your front axle is a 1937 ford with mechanical brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

It's not Model T, that's for sure. 1937-39 Fords had the large bolt circle and the drums didn't have any holes. I think the brake drums had large holes during 1932-34?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

It looks like my '35 V8 or maybe a little earlier ('32 - '35). I don't think it is an A. I drove the '35 to the office today. I'll go look under it in a few.

The wheel bolts on the '36 to '39 are the wide five pattern as Roger said.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

32-35 Model. The drums are 12" inside diameter and were called Rocky Mt Drums by those who drive these cars. I have seen Model A drums like these but those are 11". The mechanical brakes indicate pre 37 and the steering arms post date 31.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Cables to operate brakes in mid 30's, model a's are like this, but drums are different ds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Heitke on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

wow! fantastic! this was at an estate with lots of T stuff so they made an assumption. Thank you thank you for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

It is a late 1931 Model A front axle. Late in production Ford switched to open cast drums. The Shock mount balls have been torched off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

That's a Model A Ford axle

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration