Old Sol Nitrojector Spotlight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Sol Nitrojector Spotlight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

A decade or so ago I bought an Old Sol spotlight on eBay. It was incomplete and the switch was hopelessly damaged. A pal spotted another Old Sol on eBay and I won the one shown here in this post.

The condition of this lamp is very good. The original paint is 90%, the glass looks perfect and the reflectors very good. The wires are frayed and will need to be replaced. Even the mirror feature looks great. Possibly this lamp was pulled off a car early and stored away for all of these years.

It is an Old Sol Nitrojector which looks to have been introduced early in 1917 and continued in production for some years after that. According to the literature I found on an internet search the Nitrojector retailed for $10. The Model sold for Fords was $5. It is not much larger than the Ford model but it does have some additional features which seem a bit mysterious now.

First, it has a pilot light, a small bulb in the top which is hard to see unless you look up into the top. Then there is an AL shroud with a cutout portion that both rotates and moves fore and aft.

The somewhat odd shape is due to a triplex reflector setup which along with the shroud is supposed to reduce glare. Is this glare for the operator of the lamp or for the person lit by it? The printed material is far from clear about that.

The handle moves in and out to allow focusing the beam from broad to narrow, a nifty feature that may prove useful. The spotlamp rotates for adjusting the traverse but I'm not sure yet if it rotates in pitch to adjust it for elevation. The light will have to come apart to see how it works. In the printed ads below, the illustration is backwards. Somebody in the art department forgot to reverse it for printing.

I'll take this light apart in the next few weeks for cleaning, repair and rewiring with the proper duplex cloth covered wire and then see how it looks on my little flivver.

Vintage Paul

Here are some ads:

This is the light as found:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Wow I have something like that in the pile of stuff from my dad. I don't think it has internal cylinder so it might be one of the other models

I thought it was just a normal spot light and did not look further because I thought it was 6 volts and I have a 12 volt battery
1917 suggests that it works on the MAG!

I have to look closer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

This Old Sol Model 100 Nitrojector was sold as a premium lamp. Its intended customers would probably have owned a larger car with a battery. It would be interesting to find out what was offered for Fords with no battery.

Vintage Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration