Anyone have a T welder?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone have a T welder?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

I know a bunch of you guys have T-based power units and such but an aircraft mechanic where I work mentioned his father supposedly has a T-engined welder. does anyone here have one or pics of one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:26 am:

Tim, I want to/gathering parts to build a power unit. I work in a shop that deals with generators. My idea was to build a T powered generator (which is in similar function to output for a welder). Our tech who is into older things and familiar with the era of Model T engines said he did not think it would work well, because the engine might not be able to produce the speed (low RPM like a diesel) needed for proper generation. I asked what if you drive it with a belt and change pulley sizes for the required input. He said if it was an old flat leather belt or even newer v-belt, he felt that it would slip when the generator was under load.

I still would like to experiment with this, maybe it could be chain driven or gear to gear driven. I know most of our diesel generators run at 2800-3000 rpm, and I think that may be pushing a low speed T engine for an extended amount of time. More in the way of thinking it may become a member of the 2 piece crank club from over speeding.

So anything is possible, it would be great to see pictures of it for sure if you could get them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 07:40 am:

I'll have to see what I can get. I assume it put in many years of service and apparently the owner has a flathead V-8 powered welder as well. I'm tempted to pursue the T welder for my garage but that won't be until later this summer at the earliest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Chad, 1800 rpm with a 4 pole alternator will give 60 hertz (cycle) ac power. Not sure but methinks a T engine should stand up at a steady 1800. It probably would only have enough power for 10 KW or possibly 15 KW output.

I'm confused, you said: "the engine might not be able to produce the speed (low RPM like a diesel) needed for proper generation."

Then you said: "most of our diesel generators run at 2800-3000 rpm"

I don't consider 2800-3000 low RPM.

Most of the diesel power plants that I worked in ran at either 1200 or 1800 rpm for 60HZ ac power. Some ran slower (720 rpm)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Here is the power curve:

1200 or 1800 rpm gives 18 Hp and about 13 KW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

It only shows 20 HP at 1550 RPM!
What happened to the other 2 HP?
Were they left in the barn or did they run away?

I was counting on all 22 so I could say the T had more power than my lawnmower.
It looks as if the lawnmower will win the HP race! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Well Ken, I have to say you got me. And I am no means an expert on this stuff. I probably loss some of what I was told in translation I suppose, and I personally have no hard facts.

But, I am enlightened to hear that this could potentially still work. I wasn't looking to power the city block, But heck if I could pull off 3-4 outlets I would be happy enough. That is what had me baffled when he said it would not work--or maybe I did not explain it good enough for him to understand what I was trying to do.

Either way, I think I will pursue this a little more, as you can usually find good generator ends with bad or blown up engines. and not to hijack this post too much, but I would love to hear any more guidance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

I have a P&H welder in my possession that was run by a model A engine. I sold the engine long ago, but the welder is still here. It was all the A could handle to burn 3/16 7018 electrode, but it worked. I think the gen was 400 ampere, and about 80 volts open circuit, it was old then, I'll try to send a pic, soon as the rush is over. Dave, in Bellingham, wa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:25 am:

Ford Canada sold Model T power units, they quote it be set at 1000 rpm using a Handy or Kurtz governor.

It states it is ideal for average sized shops such as machine shops and list several others such as foundries, canning factories, and to drive low pressure pumps and small lighting systems.

They also suggest a 9" pulley on the motor and a 36" pulley on the line shaft to give 250rpm for general application.

power unit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william schaller on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Most pre 1920 gasoline engines were slow speed, and a great many were used to generate electricity. Many were also linked to the generator using a flat belt.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:04 am:

3/16's is a very large rod and i think very few have need of it? I have a old Coleman 6500 continous powered by a 13 hp honda and it will power my 220 lincon buzz box with 1/8" very well.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Often times the generator was DC and used for charging a bank of battery's. That would take a different speed and load then say 60 Hz 120 Volts AC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Tried to post pics, need more school, later. Or email me, Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration