Top boot 1911 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Top boot 1911 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:11 am:

does anyone have a drawing for a correct top boot cover for a 1911 touring? in the process of making my new side curtains and the boot is next. any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Most boots for early T's are not made correctly. If an original is not available, then I would start looking at old photos. I have made several of them, and they are not difficult if you wish to get it right. Do you homework, and I'm sure you will be pleased with the result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

i'v seen so many variations in pics and actual that it is hard to know what's right. appreciate your input though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Larry,

Since you've "made several of them", do you have any patterns? And, since you clearly know what's authentic, do you have any photos for guidance in knowing what denotes an authentic style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Here's what an original looked like:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

thank you royce....how many straps were there and were they attached on the bottom of the boot and go thru grommets on the top side and go down the seat face to buckles on the seat shelf?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Stuart

Don't mean to horn in here, but here is a really good pic showing the strap attachments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:05 am:

thank you bud.....every little bit helps. i have what appear to be the remains of a buckle arrangement for the straps at the base of the seat back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Stu-
Would you be so kind as to post picture of your top boot buckle remnant, along with measurement for the mounting locations? I would have thought it was attached with Anzo fasteners, like to side curtains.

Larry-
Do you have any patterns to share?

Phil Mino-
Is there any evidence of top boot attachment on your car?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:59 am:

My patterns are for 1913-14, and 17-22. From the looks of the wonderful photo that Royce supplied, the 1911 would be the same as the '13, except the flap appears to have three common sense fasteners as opposed to the '13 which only has two.
The photo Bud sent looks like it's on a 22-25 which never came with a boot. When I made a boot for my '25 I made it just like the '17 that I have a pattern for, and used the correct 5/8" cotton web straps, and correct buckles down below.
To make a boot, you first need a roll of brown wrapping paper, which you will lay out your pattern on. Just lay it on the front bow and trace the curves onto the paper. Do the same thing for the back bow. If the front and back bow line up vertically when down, making the skirt is easy. If not, it's a bit more of a challenge, but I won't get into that here. ALL of the Ford boots had welt around the upper and lower portions of the boot. The lower straps that are fastened to the seat platform are relatively short, and use a small 1/2-5/8 buckle, and were nailed in place, but screws work better. A ring shank nail would not come out like a regular nail does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

The pic that Bud posted is of the reproduction boot on my car, I got the boot from Lang's, it fits great. I did have to replace the bottom center lace with a piece of stronger black rope because the original lace broke from me tying it too tightly. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

attached are a couple of pics of some sort of attachment that was left in the car when restored. there are two attachments in each of two locations
on the cushion base. one in each location is and was a buckle and the other was a snap post on the short straps. the buckles are steel. they are fastened to the base with what appears to be a nail and obviously have not been tampered with from new. the leather straps, or what is left of them, is very brittle leather.straps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I don't see any obvious evidence of attachments.

11car-1

11car-2

11car-3

11car-4

11car-5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Phil: Check the back seat! There is bound to be some nail holes on the r & l sides, plus one in the middle.
I have a number of original pictures of early top boots that are genuine Ford, showing in most cases great detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 01:08 am:

Here are top boot straps from a friend's mid-year 1911:

You can see they indeed originally used Anzo fasteners. I see no buckle arrangement. Of course the attachment method could be specific to the maker of the top and boot.

Reproduction straps are attached right next to the originals. The original upholstery on this car is covered with the black canvas that you see here.

I'll try to see the car and get some measurement details within the next week or so.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 08:04 am:

great pics everyone......thanks......does anyone know of a source for the obround grommets that the center strap passes through? the strap remains on my car are 5/8 in wide with buckle and 3/4 in wide with the anzo fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Mark

I saved that pic a long time ago but not the post it came from. My apologies for not giving you credit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

No worries, Bud. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:56 am:

now i have been informed that ford did not furnish top boot covers until the 1912 model. anyone else have that information? if that is the case, sounds like anything goes as the aftermarket at that time would be of many sorts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Just thought I'd add this to the mix, my 1914 Touring, with original interior, still has one strap left for the top boot. It appears to be webbing. Also, notice the leather covering over the bolt heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Bill s photo above is fantastic! Thats the kind of stuff that needs to get out there for us to understand. Does anyone know where to obtain the metal tips for the cotton straps? Mark Cameron doesn't have any more, and Langs doesn't have them either. I need one for a reproduction tool pouch I made, that is an exact copy of the one that is in the Rip Van Winkle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

our Canadian 1912 had 2, 1/4 wide leather top boot straps one on each side but not in the middle held on with 2 round head slot screws. They are original to the car but we do not have a boot.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration