OT - Ford N, R and S comparision

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Ford N, R and S comparision
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

This is an offshoot of the N photo thread Herb I. posted:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/544158.html?1433347903

At some point, the seat width and leg room (firewall to seat) dimensions was increased on NRS cars. Model R were advertised having a "slightly larger body" than the Model N. I believe Model N also had a larger body (seat) at about the same time. Below are some dimensions of our 1906 Model N:

Firewall to seat = 22 inches

Seat width = 41 1/2 inches

Firewall to rear of deck = 72 inches

Rear spring hangar (center) to rear deck = 11 inches

I suspect the entire deck was lengthened and the seat set back (about one and a half inches) to give a little more leg room without shortening the trunk, based on another N we measured last year. However, I don't have those measurements, so maybe Jerry V. or another member would like to compare their car measurements with these.

Another difference was the early vs. later radiator. Our N has the later radiator (and a photo taken in 1925 of our car already had this same radiator). However, the hood was "re-bent" to accommodate the newer style radiator. The early radiator had a shorter, larger diameter neck with larger thread radiator cap:
early radiator. The "Ford" logo is also an earlier style:

Later style (currently on our N):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Rob,

I believe you also have the later style water pump.

Additionally, that early radiator had a removable shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Jerry,
Yes, we've rebuilt the older radiator. It is similar in construction to the Model K radiator, with separate shell. The "shoulders" are sloped differently. If you look at the right (left in the photo) corner of the later radiator (currently on our car) you can see the hood does not match up. The hood fits perfectly on the "shoulders" of the older radiator.

This is a photo of our N taken at a Ford dealership in 1925. The "new style" radiator was on it at that time. Our car has also been modified at different points in it's life, all before 1925. The body had a rumble seat added, along with a fender and running board package. The horn has a 1909 patent date. I suspect this N was used and upgraded to look more like a Model T, and this may be the reason it survived (staying in use for several years):

Our N, 1925:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Thanks Rob. This weekend when I return home I will take the same measurements on my car. From looking at your pictures, I believe I have the early radiator.
M. Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Hello Gents: I made the same measurements that Rob did as follows: Firewall to seat 23 in. Seat width 41 1/2 in. Rear spring hanger to rear deck 12 in. Firewall to rear deck 74 in.
I also confirmed that the radiator is the early style. The running gear appears original, straight axles are still tight. The wheels still show a very faint pinstriping. You have seen from earlier pictures that the buggy rail on my car is in two pieces, not fully wrapping the back of the seat. My car, #21XX, was made in Dec 1906, as I understand it.
I saw a N at Hershey last fall. It had the straight buggy rail which wrapped around the back of the seat, but had the later style radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Here is part of the "S" drawing S-1177.Firewall to seat box 25 ?/8". Seat width 42"plusdrawingsdrawing-2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration