The Ruckstell. Whats one worth?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Ruckstell. Whats one worth?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I am sure like all car parts, the Ruckstell rear end can vary in price but what is an average price for a decent one in working condition? What about one that needs to be rebuilt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Hard to say. Complete junk pile around 400-500. Working but probably needs a rebuild 800-1000. Rebuilt $1500 up. Rebuilds vary widely. If you get one with new axles, gears and driveshaft along with new sleeves, thrust bearings etc you could pay 2500. I've paid as much as 1200 for a complete assembled Perfecto, but since I do the machine work, I don't need to purchase as many parts as if I were doing a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

A few years ago I bought a used one for $800.00 and then spent $1200.00 on parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Here's my take on buying a Ruckstell, for what it's worth....

Buying any assembled Ruckstell is a crap shoot. You don't what might be inside and, like Hal, end up having to pay $1200.00 to essentially replace all the insides. To me, a fully assembled Ruckstell is of low value unless purchased from a known reputable, knowledgeable seller. I bought one for about $400 and was very lucky that the internals were really good. Otherwise, I would buy loose parts that I could see & inspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:17 am:

In this part of the country the asking prices are about 1200.00, way to much. You might as well buy a new one, because you'll probably have that much in it after repairs on the 1200 one. I've been lucky three times for 400.00 each. one of them just needed the big bearing. By the time I got done with the other ones, I had 700 in one and 1100 in the other one. I wouldn't pay more than 5 or 600 for a used one. Also, I wouldn't want a driver Model T without one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I paid $1200 for one awhile back, but it was apart, and I could see what I was getting. I got another from Richard Gould too, that was excellent, and it's under my '13 runabout now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. This brings up another question since I am a newbie with T's: Do folks get a Ruckstell to allow a T to go faster or just to get more gear options for hills and such? Would a Ruckstell allow my stock TT go faster than 20 MPH? Could I reach 35 with a Ruckstell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Ruckstell is an underdrive. Some pair it with taller rear end gears since they have another gear in between high and low. Works with light bodied cars, such as speedsters. But most use it for hills and such. If you have a TT, there is a special Ruckstell for those units, but to get higher speeds you need the 5 to 1 gears in your rear end. The Ruckstell would give you an intermediate gear between Ford low and high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Ruckstel gives a low and direct gearing. The Ruckstel itself does not give any increase in speed. It does make putting faster gearing in more workable ie. 3:1. Primarily the advantage is getting an intermediate gear so that when high Ford is too fast or not enough power to climb the hill you can shift to Ruckstel low, Ford high and not have to drop to Ford low--really slow and tiring on the left leg. I like Ruckstel low with Ford low or reverse to make trailer loading easier and safer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Jason, Ruckstell's are different for cars and TT's. Like Richard said look for a set of 5-1 rear end gears first. Actually I think there 5.63- 1. I'm not a TT truck guy so that might not be quite the ratio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Do not need a ruckstell for a ton truck with 5:1 gearing. At least not unless you are pulling large loads with it as they are still low geared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

Dale - I agree with everything you said, with one addition:

Ruckstell is also great for parades!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

After busting a crankshaft on tour we caught a ride in a ruckstell equiped car.I rember a missed shift,a cement truck,and the need for clean shorts!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Guess it depends on if you are selling or buying! :-)
After working on a couple, unless it is pulled down for inspection, and depending on which shifter it has maybe $300 tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 03:58 am:

In NZ $500 for the housing alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Thanks for the information everyone. So the 5-1 rear end gear is the only thing out there to get the TT a little faster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:54 am:

You can add a Warford, Jumbo Giant, etc. of several period accessory transmissions that has overdrives. The old Warford's overdrive was 1:1.363, which would change the original low speed TT rear axle ratio from 7.25:1 to 5.32:1 or about the same as the "high speed" rear axle ratio. Both in combination would speed up the TT considerable as long as the road is flat and you haven't got any load :-)

The rarer Chicago Mark E had an even taller OD, 1:1.56 which would turn the 7.25:1 into 4.66:1. But there's some work involved with installing an accessory trans like shortening the drive shaft and the radius rods and perhaps making an extra crossmember for support. Plus adding auxilary wheel brakes should the trans goes into neutral - you can't easily get it into gear again in a panic situation.

(Message edited by Roger K on June 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

I have the high speed gears in my TT and a Ruckstell. I can cruse down the road at 33 mph. The Ruckstell is real nice for the grades we have here in Montana. It's a good set up. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration