Rumor, or fact?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rumor, or fact?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

It's been so long ago, I'm not sure if I read this, or someone told me.

As the last of the '27 T's were made, a man (in New Jersey, I think), was distraught at his favorite car being discontinued.

Is it rumor, or fact, that he bought six of them for daily drivers, and that the last was taken out of service sometime in 1966?

Anyone else hear about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

About 40 years ago I heard a comparable story in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

There is a story like that in Roscoe's Sheller's great little book " Me and the Model T ".

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Yep.

Heard about that.

The sad ending did happen in 1966.

Early hours some teenagers busted into the garage where Mr. Larry Lastford kept his final runabout from the last day of production.

Hearing the boys stealing his beloved T, called the police and they gave chase, and the kids lost control of the T as they tried to speed away.

Alas.....this is all that was left of Mr. Lastford's T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

So which state was he in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

The state of sadness

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Some how I knew that was going to be my exact answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

No kidding; was the owner's name really Lastford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Would a late production 27 T have wood spokes as in the picture? I would think thy would be wire wheels standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

I heard a story like this from my grandfather of a old guy in Custer County Ok. That didn't like nor wanted to learn to use what he called "them damn wiggle sticks" transmissions. My grandfather asked the gentlemen what he was going to do when his Model T gave out. He responded that he wasn't worried, he two more in the barn in their shipping crates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

How many teenage car thieves in 1966 could drive a Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Even in the late forties there were people who had never driven anything but a model T. California issued drivers licenses for "Model T Only" as late as that at least. I saw one dated 1946.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Folklore.....variations of this story I have heard for about 50 years or so.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

We had a fellow,Named Tom Crum,who live South of town.He would drive into town every Saturday and do his shopping,in his 26 coupe. later I learned he had bought a 26 roadster and liked it so well he bought the coupe. When the roadster finally quit, he junked it and started driving the coupe. he had it stored in the barn all those years. After he passed,one of my Aunts bought the coupe and later sold it to a guy up by Chicago. A local farmer bought the roadster and used the chassis for a wagon for many years.He and a buddy finally made a speedster out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Or literary license....same as folklore...how stories get started...some one publishes :-)

This version is New Jersey, but a woman, and she bought SEVEN! Six just isn't enough if you are going to tell as fish story. :-)

Published 1996....am sure this type of story on the Ford occurred for years before.

And...all my comments have been tongue-in-cheek.

Henry would be getting a chuckle out of this stuff!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration