Old car bug part II

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old car bug part II
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Ok , got the model A out of the barn today and trailered home , damage report , body by crunch , this is a Murray bodied 160b , but I cannot read anything else on the upper tag , there is a body number , the tags were covered in grease which left me hopeful that they'd be totally legible but it wasn't to be , anyhow the original owner hit a milk truck with it and it will need a total restoration but now it's safe and sound in my shop. The cool thing is I'm actually the second owner !! They had the original title !! It's titled as a 1930 but has all the 31 slant window attributes so I'm confused . At any rate , here's some pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Oh yeah , still think it was worth the 500.00 price I paid though :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Thank you for the update! (I have been on the proverbial pins and needles wondering)
And oh yeah, still very well worth the price! ( And I think model As are modern cars)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Travis,

Great project! Besides our model T we also have a restored model A pick up roadster.
I have an original sales receipt for a 28 model A Tudor that sold for $603.50. Terms: By Cash. The sales receipt is from the Stone Motor Company, Inc. in Belzoni, Miss. dated August 17th 1928. The sales receipt lists the Company as Ford Authorized Dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Don't surrender that title to anybody for any reason! That is beyond cool!
I would guess the milk truck was not the first thing the original owner hit with that car but is was probably the last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:38 am:

Congrats Travis,
BUT, it's a 160A, the B only had windows in the doors. Did you find a body tag to ID it as a Murray? ALL slant window fordors had the arched window openings, Briggs, Murray, and Ford. I cannot locate my DeAngills book, but the Deluxe radiator shell came out in November of 1930 and used on the Victoria body. However, I can't verify the beginning of the S/W Fordor production. It is quite likely it's a very late 1930. Even more so if you don't have the indented firewall with the fuel shut-off valve in the engine compartment.
DEFINITELY worth the $500, even with the damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:25 am:

David , the tag says Murray and 160B , has the oval dome light above rear window with switch on pillar post and pull rope on back of front seat , the very rear quarter windows roll down and only has provision for a shade on the rear window . Overall a good project body. Though bent , is really solid for any car , let alone one from last :-) I really like it and it will be a lot of fun to restore .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:23 am:

The 160A should be a standard slant windshield 4 door sedan with quarter windows, the 160B would be a slant windshield Town Sedan and would have the fold down center section in the rear seat and dome light over the rear seat quarter windows and there should be holes in the cowl for cowl lights.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17518

Body styles and numbers;
http://gwcmodela.org/bodyphotos.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Hmm, my old copy of the judging standards has failed me!! OK, if the Murray tag say 160B, than that's what it is. Now how about the firewall, indented or regular?
I can see the cowl light holes, so that detail is correct too. If you car is early enough, it might not have sun visors--originally there would be wood blocks between the header and the first top bow as mounts for them.
I wonder what the square thing is on the back panel above the spare tire carrier? There's also something funky behind the pass. side rear door--radio antenna mounts??
You are fortunate to have the complete back bumper set up, as it's unique to this body style. Front bumpers are fairly common! That's an interesting front license plate holder too.
More pictures!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Oh, check the side windows, if they are safety glass or not. Original ford safety glass will have "bugs" on them identifying the glass supplier. VERY COOL feature to show off! The one I did we had a rubber stamp made with the typical "bug" and acid etched them on the glass. I should look for the picture file and scan them in (old school-FILM!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

Will hopefully get more pics tonite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Here's some more pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Sorry they're not clearer , resizing makes a mess of a good pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Engine number A46T5493

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Sorry. _Just couldn't resist any longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Love it , can I use it as a screen saver ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Travis,

Gimme your e-mail address (in a PM) and I'll send you the high-resolution version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Travis;
That's not a Ford number it would be *A0000000* with no letters in the number except for the A in front of the number.
The frame number, would have been same as engine number, will be on the drivers side top frame rail under the body, just about where the floor board risers are. (*=a star)
If you substitute a number (even a 0 will get you in the ball park) for the letter T you get a mid 1931 production.
So if the title shows 1930, it might not be the correct one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I can't find it either but here's a pic , could this be the "Lincoln gold seal " engine they talked about ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

That appears to be an incomplete strike of the numeral "1`" associated with the new numbers. The new style numbers were adopted in March, 1931.

Model A number stamps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Lincoln gold seal?
Per the Judging Standards the shape of the 1, 6 and 9 were changed in March of 31. The "T" is I think a No. I (1, one) that is missing the bottom cross bar :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Yes , I have no idea what the Lincoln gold seal is either , the gentleman I bought the car from said that his father had put a Lincoln gold seal engine in it in the 60's and he thought it was a brand new replacement engine . I've never heard of it .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

The Ford replacement engines are referred to as diamond blocks because they has a diamond cast into them.
looks like Phil and were posting the same info at the same time. :-)
So at this point if it was a Ford replacement motor they may have re-stamped the original block number on it. Which would explain why the numbers are not straight in a line. When Ford stamped the numbers original at the factory on the production line, they had a fixture that held the numbers sorta like what type setters use. The surface was not machined where the numbers were stamped, yours has the as cast look which would be correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Great , thanks , going to put her in mothballs for now and get back to my 26 Tudor and roadster pick up , once they're done my boys and I will tackle the A , was just too good of a deal to pass up :-) and will make a great restoration/ driver .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Travis,
WOW! Great interior! Before you do anything to the window trim and dash pieces, that's woodgraining, and oftentimes it is still intact under dirt and crazed clearcoat. The woodgraining was done by first coating the metal with a base color (a dull red for mahogany)then an inked roller with woodgrain on it was rolled over the metal, the corners were hand-finished with a dry brush, then this was all clear coated, as the ink has no holding power--made a mistake? wipe it off (until it's clear coated). So I have found that careful cleaning and MAYBE a little very fine sanding (600 grit or finer), then clear coat with lacquer and the grain shows up. Takes a lot more handwork to save it--but a lot less, IMHO than to replicate it! When you take the frames out of the car, you may find fingerprints in the ink on the backsides of the frames, CSI evidence of the original finisher! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

David , the funky square thing you see is evidently part of the pipe rack that the original owner ( who was a plumber ) had put on the car , there is also a couple of bolts going through the upper passengers side quarter panel and a stud welded to the passenger side front fender , there's a homemade trailer hitch and even a power outlet for trailer lights on the back , hard to believe that someone would do that to such a nice car but you did what you had to do back then I guess , the gentleman I purchased the car from came over tonight and was relaying stories about his father and told me about the pipe racks , also said that the man liked his wine which could partially explain the wreck :-) no one was hurt in the crash thankfully though :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Pulled the front seat springs today looking to see if I could find anything good real quick ( fingers were crossed for a 1911 ) but all I found was a bunch of walnut hulls something had left in there :-) but the seat was stenciled " Murray town sedan" in black , thought it was interesting and that I'd share :-) all my dads older friends are offering up parts and knowledge and it's very hard to , but I have to get back to my Ts again before I actually start restoring this one too and end up with a bunch of half done projects , focus...focus ....thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Travis,
I share in your excitement about your new find. I recently bought a '31 Slat Windshield Town Sedan in dry storage for the last 40 years (from the second owner!) and can't wait to get it home. Maybe we can share info as we go along. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Keep 'em rolling!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration