Low Head Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Low Head Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Rex on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:58 am:

How can I tell if a low head has been shaved down?
I have been told that an unmodified low head should measure 2-1/16" thick at the bolt holes. Is that accurate? Thanks I appreciate any help in this regard. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:15 am:

2-1/16" is the height I've seen too. High heads were 2-11/16"

But there may be variations among the low heads..
'14-'17 may be 3/32" higher than the earlier low heads?
From the encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng3
07-17-14 T401C Added 3/32 to bottom of head, increases all top to bottom dimensions and lowers compression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Steven, it makes me wonder what is behind your question. Are you concerned about interference with piston tops or something else? If there appears to be plenty of meat around the water passages and you have clearance if you place the head on without a gasket, you are good to go. The only thing to check then is that the bolts do not bottom out in the block holes.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Rex on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Allan If a low head measures say 1-15/16" I would assume that someone has shaved it by 1/8" and I would hesitate removing any more. I plan to purchase and install a used low head until the cracked head on my car can be welded.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration