We're a very active group compared to others

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: We're a very active group compared to others
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

Every day there are many postings to this group. I have noticed that both the HCCA forum and the Dodge Brothers Club forums can have NOTHING posted for a week at a time! We must just be really sociable or very curious! (note that I did NOT say "strange"!) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

I post tour reports to the HCCA site, but sometimes I think I've been sentenced to solitary confinement and am talking to myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

David, reminds me of my 10th grade English teacher admonishing someone who was disrupting the class and she said, "There are 30 odd kids in this class...." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

in this group it is not common practice to jump down someone's throat for asking a question that has been asked before. Many others it is, and I imagine that keeps the posting down, especially by new members. I trolled and searched through another Ford forum for weeks looking for an answer before I posted, lest I catch a tongue lashing for bothering people with a question that has already been asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

May it never change!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Then U say: "this may have been asked before but I need an answer NOW." Then let the chips fall. No individual owns this forum so we all can ask as many questions about our T's that we want....Like...."what is the best oil for my T."etc

Keep posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

In this group there is a lot that is posted that is OT and also a lot of socializing. Other groups tend to avoid this or have a separate section for that kind of stuff.
I just weed through the threads and only read what appears to be interesting or that I may have something to contribute.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Willis, Ditto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

If you go on another forum and they get really angry about a question being similar to a prior one maybe you should mock them for fretting over a small amount of text on the internet being such a huge inconvenience. It's not like the old days where each page takes 4 hours to download and bandwidth cost the earth. Largely cheaper for nearly everyone now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Guys, (and gals?), I think it's just a "Model T thing". This type of socializing is also present on T tours. I've been on a couple HCCA tours and find that after everyone arrives back at the host motel they all scatter off to do their own thing and all the cars are packed away in closed trailers. On the other hand, on a T tour, cars are left out, people gather to talk & help is exchanged. Just part of being in the T community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Yeah, this forum seems to be unique to the internet. _Information, data, how-to tips and good old-fashioned camaraderie flow like a river, here. _This forum is be one of the top five reasons why the Model T Ford will live forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

I read the forum first thing each day. Very entertaining and informative. Great bunch of nice people here. Occasionally someone posts an"elitist critical comment" and gets a gently admonishment. I enjoy all the on and off topic
postings. Occasionally I will share some of my T knowledge but usually defer to those much better informed than I. :-) I'm turned off by most other forums because of the cumbersome format or the attitude of the posters. May the MTFCA forum exist forever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Gee... I figured our forum had this much activity, simply because we were all a bunch of lackey's that had no life and nothing else to do... HA!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

I would whole-heartedly agree. I joined the Willys Overland registry when i inherited my dad's car two years ago. I quit posting on the WOKR forum and eventually dropped out of the club because I was getting very little response from the members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

This forum is part of my usual morning "routine" with my first cuppa' coffee. If I've gone thru' the updates before going to bed the previous night as I usually do, I can usually count on approximately 35 updates to read with my coffee the next morning. The strange thing is, I can usually tell when most of the country is having bad weather as those 35 new updates in the morning will probably be 40 or more! I hope the forum continues forever, in as much the same format as always if possible! I feel like I have "friends" here that I really have not met yet in person and have that to look forward to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JASON MUNDT on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I joined/created profile last night (and plunked down my $40 for a membership). Now I wanted to try a comment to see how it works and this thread seemed fitting.

Jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I've not been active in a forum other than this one until recently. A 1947 Kit Kamper teardrop trailer crossed my path a couple of weeks ago, and I looked up internet sites pertaining to those. I was pleased to find that they have a national group, the "TearJerkers" (cute, huh?), so I expected their forum would be similar to this one. I asked a technical question there (what type of screws was used to attach the aluminum skin to the wooden base) and thought I'd get a quick answer, as we do here. That was several days ago, and I don't have the answer yet. I thought it was a very simple question, and someone there surely knows the answer to it. Apparently they're just not as active on their forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

The Model A and V8 forums on Fordbarn are just about as active as this one. The VCCA is somewhat active.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Jason, Welcome to the group. Its always nice to see someone new. Mike I am a fellow "teardrop" owner. I have a 1947 Tourette. It was made by Ryan Aeronautical as something for them to do after the war. Post a couple pics of you camper. I would post my pics but I still have not got my pics recovered from my lightening struck hard drive yet. You are correct about the Tearjerkers being slow to answer. I finally gave up. One spot that I did have some good luck with was "Tin Can Tourist" Ill have to look up their site or you can find it on the web. They cover teardrops, canned hams, trailer coaches, and I believe motor coaches. As to your screws I believe they are just round head wood screws. But not for sure on the KIT Kamper...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Jason,
Welcome Aboard!! (Hey someone needed to say that!)
Gee, I posted this, went to the storage building to look for some piano rolls to give my Niece who will be a the wedding we're going to this weekend (Necessary T content--left my half-full can of Ginger Ale on Barney's fender. I suppose I'll get ants now. . . .)come back, and lookit all the responses--more than a month's worth at the other sites!!
At the Auburn swap meet last weekend, kept bumping into other Forum members--it was like "old home week"! Heck, going to the meet would have been worthwhile even if I didn't find anything (but I did!).
I'd better go hike back up to the storage shed, don't need ants in there. . . Later!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Donnie -- I think they were pan-head Phillips but was wanting some affirmation from someone who actually knew.

I'm at the Homecoming at Richmond and will take some pics when I get home. It's a cute little trailer, 4x8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Mike - I'm not much of a woodworker (or mechanic for that matter) so I probably should not comment, but I would think that oval-head wood screws with finishing washers would work well; those washers would grip and hold the aluminum skin over a broader area. I recall years ago, we were bucking a terrific head wind driving across Wyoming, and believe it or not, very gradually, I was losing my outside rear-view-mirror vision down alongside our aluminum skinned travel trailer. Stopped at a rest area and discovered that the vacuum created around the front corners of the front of the trailer had actually sucked the aluminum skin off of the front of the sides of the trailer, creating a big bulge. The screws of course stayed in place, but the heads of the screws had pulled right through the soft aluminum sheet metal skin. Fortunately, I had some tools with me at the time, and a temporary "fix" was to drill holes in some copper pennies to make washers to put under each screw. Worked well as an "emergency fix", but looked kinda' weird!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Next time carry some 1943 zink pennies in your repair kit! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Defacing American coinage might be against the law!

I know because I was told by an old gentleman that I could go to jail because I put a penny on the train track.
and it was flattened by a big old steam engine.

I have been hiding from the police ever since then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:44 am:

When I first got on the net there was Yahoo forums and others related to other things I am interested in that were active. Now most are so screwed up by Yahoo they aint worth trying to use or just flat out gone. The social element is what makes this forum so good.

This forum has stayed the same and is easy to use with good people from all walks of life so it works.
When sadly some one of higher power decides to change this forum to some souped up system,it will then be hard to use and slow to load and I will probably just fade off into the distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:49 am:

It helps when the car is produced to the 15 million mark- that kinda guarantees that it will have a larger following than smaller run automobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Hey Fred,
I think you are safe, it is the railroad that will send you to jail for putting pennies on the track, they do not care if you deface US coinage, but they are very particular about anyone putting foreign objects on the track, as they can derail a train. As long as you use US pennies, you can claim that it was not a foreign object.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Ah, memories... Putting pennies on the P.E. tracks as the red cars rolled down American Avenue. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

If I recall correctly, USA pennies and nickels are not LEGALLY monetary tender. You cannot force the electric company to accept them as payment for a disputed bill. Dimes, they, and almost everyone else, barring safety concerns (imminent threat of theft for example), must be accepted as legal payment. They can require you to have counted them, and they may recount them if they desire.
This came up often some years ago when copper pennies were becoming worth more than a penny as scrap (the definitive answer I always read was that yes, you can scrap copper pennies). I know the electric company thing because as specialized contractors, we used to do a lot of work with public utilities. It is also what I remember from when I was too young and my parents wouldn't let me have an antique automobile, so I collected coins.
I even have a few copper pennies I set out on the tracks near my house about 25 years ago to be run over by a steam locomotive that went through on a special run. Maybe David D could tell me which one that was? It went all around the country for weeks.

And, YES! This forum is VERY special! Thank you, to all of you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy it! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

I had a dime that was run over by Eisenhauer's funeral train as it passed through here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:58 am:

I'm with Fred .... just hiding from the police ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:56 am:

Wayne,
Probably UP 844 or 3985, although "tracks near your place" would have been the Nevada County Narrow Gauge, taken up around 1941! :-) The NCNG was also known as the "Never Come-Never Go" and a story is told about a lady who inquired of the Conductor, "When will we get to Grass Valley, I'm afraid my baby is coming!" To which he said, "Madam, you shouldn't have gotten on this train in that condition!" She replied, " I WASN'T in this condition when I board in Colfax!" :-)
I have a bicentennial quarter flattened by SP 4449 when she was pulling the American Freedom Train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 08:38 am:

I used to put pennies on the Toronto streetcar tracks. One time I splurged and used a nickel. It never occurred to me that the harder and thicker nickel might derail the car. Does this mean I'm on a terrorist watch list? :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 01:13 am:

David D, I should have been more clear. I lived in Livermore at that time. I have only been in Grass Valley about ten years now.

I do love some of the old stories about the local "Never Come-Never Go" railway. Apparently, they earned that moniker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:19 am:

Wayne,
I figured you weren't in GV at the time, but even Livermore location still fits my answer. Not that many steam locomotives run out here in the west! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

As I recall, this one was in all the papers doing a special run around the nation. It had run out from the East and was headed down to Los Angeles by way of Livermore. The tracks were just about a block from where we lived at that time. A couple of the kids and I walked down to the tracks to watch it go by (and I had a few pennies on the track waiting). As I recall, it made a return trip a few days later, but that being a work day, I missed it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration