Front Oil Seal Wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Oil Seal Wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Spotts on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Got everything cleaned up and getting ready to bolt the engine back to the oil pan. I'm seeing a lot of wear on the oil pan where the crank shaft/front oil seal lives. Should I be concerned about this?

f1

f2

f3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Terry, I would be very concerned. There should be plenty of clearance around the crankshaft at this point. You would have to be almost completely missing babbit on the front bearing for the crankshaft to make that damage. More than likely there is something amiss with whatever front seal was in place. You need to investigate.

When the crankshaft broke in my 1917 shooting brake, the front piece was whacked so hard in the rundown that it broke out a small piece of the timing cover at that same point and ovalled the front bearing. Normally there is plenty of clearance.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Was the crankshaft sleeved in that area? Did it have the Model A rope or T felt seal or some other?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Interesting. I would at least clean off the rolled over edges. But one would think there'd be at a least an 1/8" clearance there. I think there's enough to still hold the seal, but I would check the fit before buttoning it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Spotts on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

It had the T felt seal. The engine that's going back in is a different rebuilt block. The old one had a front end knock and compression issues on 1 and 2 and a leaky head gasket and...

I cleaned everything up with a file and will pay special attention to this area for clearance when I bolt it back up. Do I have many options for repair/replace if I run into issues?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

From the looks of the photo you should be OK with the rope type seal. The other option would be the neoprene type seal that is set in RTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:27 am:

If you have had the crankshaft turned and new babbit poured and line bored in the block, you should be just fine. I would suspect that the old babbit on the front bearing cap had worn out allowing the front of the crankshaft to drop causing this problem.

Another very good thing to do would be to have your crankcase aligned on a jig. It could be bent up at the front, or the dike could be loose and raised at the top. So check this out too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

After straightening the pan check the front dam for solder that has turned loose. Most of the ones I check need re soldering. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration