OT - The K 6-40 is coming together, differential work finished

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - The K 6-40 is coming together, differential work finished
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Dean picked up the differential today. Sounds like an incredibly good piece of machining, I know Dean was impressed. I'll let him explain the work that was done.

The spiders are new:

Thank you Bob T. for the carrier and pinion.

Dodge Brothers:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

The Model K Runabout was guaranteed to go over 70 mph. Hopefully now the rearend ready for the test. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

NICE!!! NICE!! Nice!! Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Wonderful looking gear work. We are lucky there are folks who will do this. Nice to see them.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:57 am:

What's the diff ratio for these cars? Were there optional or aftermarket ratios?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Wonderful! It's good to see the progress, Rob. We're all looking to seeing and hearing it run.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Thanks guys. Dean is working his tail off while I polish brass one-handed....

Constantine, the standard ratio was 3:1 with an option of 3.75:1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Model K driveshaft, torque tube and hardware:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Just received the dual switches. Thank you R. V. Anderson:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

A race against time. Dean is finishing the engine:

With one modification, no more 5.3 lbs. cast iron pistons.

Thank you Mike Bender....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Looking real nice. 15 days until the hill climb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:23 am:

Hi Rob. All looks good from Australia. Even with that later chassis i still think you should put some springs under those engine bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:31 am:

Can't wait to see it at the OCF Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

About ready for the engine run in:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Thank you for all the updates! A quick scan of thread titles and I open these immediately.
Drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

What is the equipment attached by the belt? Is it to start the motor?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Garage made set up with electric motor and belt drive to the flywheel to rotate the engine assembly at low rpm for a period of time. Running in like that makes hand crank start easier as all the bearings are now freed up.

Ford did running in too, but mostly to burn in the Babbitt bearings. Big electric motors, with gages to determine by voltage when the engine was properly run in with lowest resistance to deem the bearings free enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Hey, Rob -- You could run a sawmill with that rig! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Wayne, my pleasure.... :-)

Paul, Dan T. hit the nail on the head. Dean said he uses this motor to run in fresh Model T rebuilds. He had to do some serious modifying, and said he found out he needed to run with only three tightened rods at a time (at first).

We won't have a starter, so with new rod babbitt, pistons/rings and valves we need to run it in well before we'll be able to hand crank.

Mike, run a sawmill with the run in motor, or the six cylinder engine?

We hope to have video of the run in process in action tomorrow.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Great photos and up date as always. Is it possible from time to time to show the parts next to a Model T part or a ruler so we can see just how big they really are. I think a Model T piston next to the "K" piston would be interesting. Can't wait to see it all together again. Video with it running...can't wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Two artificial knees, a banged up shoulder...

Rob, sounds like you won't have the strength to crank up that big car. You better plan on donating it to a worthy cause, and I know just the cause to send it to.

Hope both of you are up and running soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Denny,
I'll recycle a few comparison pics.
Dave,
Not to worry. I'm just the right guy to crank her, I have more NOS parts than most people.......(you forgot the replaced hip)

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

Comparing T and K transmissions:

The T transmission weighs about 35 lbs., the K about 82 lbs. both the improved (26/27) T and K had a wider brake band than low and reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Short (very) of the run-in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm69a7pdqte5xmz/IMG_1595.MOV?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Neat! Is there break-in lube or timesaver on the bearings for the run-in?

Interesting truss rods under the frame rails.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Mark,
Dean is using time saver. The link below is of the engine today. It's getting quieter....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm69a7pdqte5xmz/IMG_1595.MOV?dl=0

Henry Ford used truss rods on several of his racers, and seems to have carried over to the Model K. I suppose as a way to strengthen with as little weight as possible.

Ford's famous 999 and well known (at the time) 20 hp racer of 1904 both had similar support:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:20 am:

I meant to add this pic concerning Ford truss work. Ford still used external trusses with the 410 cubic inch Model T chassis racer, 1910-1913. I suspect the increased weight of the large engine and stress of racing and hill climbing required additional support, yet Ford wished to retain the Model T appearance. In 1911 Ford was fourth in wins of all foreign and domestic car makers primarily due to the success of this racer:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Lookin great Rob, Congrats on all the fine work! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:31 am:

I would assume you took that last photo at the Henry Ford. The same car is at the Gilmore Museum. Wonder how similar they are?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Dave,
The car at THF is the real thing, down to the 410 cu in engine. Unfortunately, like the K racer, it's not on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:23 am:

New carrier. This one should be bullet proof:

Thank you, T.J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

That is impressive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

What happened to the carrier in the first photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Wayne, yes, T.J. Is a young man who works a regular shift as a machinist, then works on piecework on the side. He spent a lot of his weekend doing this.

Richard, as it turns out, the replacement carrier and ring gear was a 3 3/4 : 1 ratio, while most K (including ours) came with standard 3 : 1 ratios. We didn't have the pinion, so didn't know it was the slower speed rear end (12 tooth instead of 15 tooth pinion). The ring gear on both are 45 teeth, however, the gear is carried in a different location on the carrier, and the pitch of the ring gear is different for each ratio. The page from a K parts book shows the difference. The parts appear almost identical, and we thought we had the correct carrier and ring until assembly, when they didn't quite fit :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

The new "tourabout" seat is finished. Now the 6-40 can be configured for two (trunk only), three (single rumble seat) or four passengers. Ford offered the rear double seat with the K roadster in 1908:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

It is that darn Murphy fellow's fault again!
That seat looks pretty neat. I can hardly wait to see multiple photos of that incredible 6-40 in all three configurations.
Love it! Love it! Love it!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Rob,

Look at the bright side, according to the price list your carrier only cost $16 to replace. Keep the up dates coming. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

How did the machinist figure the correct dimension to set the depth of the ring gear? Did he have another to compare?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Richard,
We had the original carrier, although it was broken, and had been repaired in the past, for dimensions:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Sounds like TJ is one crack machinist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Dave,
Yes, T. J. is a keeper. He is a young fellow in Lincoln, with a family, who is working on the side to get ahead (in addition to having a great job at a major shop). I'll try to get him to the Speedster Reunion next week.

Good news, after several tries we found a welder. I shoud have gone there sooner, but I tried a few others first. This shop is owned by a friend in another town who used to work on my farm equipment when it was old and broke often. As time went on, I was able to afford better (newer) equipment, and we didn't stay in touch.

Today, I went to his shop, and he took one look at the gear and said "I can do that." I asked how soon, and he said, "I have a big project bid due, can you wait until tomorrow?"

Another run-in video from Dean. If you listened to the others, listen how quiet it is now. The pan is on, and the run is about over.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0u2u92eynisxkt/IMG_1597.MOV?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Moving forward........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Running in with bands on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjk6ngc57fex4qz/IMG_1602.MOV?dl=0

It's getting there......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration