You may be a bachelor if......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: You may be a bachelor if......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I live in a manufactured home community where it is verboten to work on your vehicles in your own driveway/carports. I asked my two Labs if they cared if I turned the Dining Room into a speedster assembly area. They were fine with the idea. Here is this evenings progress. My utility room is now a parts storage area, and if I can't find my brake rods or rear radius rods, they are under the couch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

That works! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I built one car in the basement,then took it apart and reassembled it out side.The engine assembly was very heavy to carry up the stairs with just two people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

I've put new fabric on airplane wings and other parts inside the house.
Wifey doesn't like the smell but it smells OK to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Classic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

The window in the left of the photo is going to become a 6' set of French doors. When I am ready to move the car out it will just fit thru. My uncle has a roll back flatbed truck that we can back up to the door, and push the car out onto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Eric, Your car is wanting to go out the window on the right side. You may want to give up part of the kitchen and turn the car so you can get it out.
Do you have snoopy neighbors? Of course they didnt tell you that you can not work inside. Where are you going to paint it? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

When I lived in Texas about 30 years ago my Mother visited me and asked why there was a Model T motor on a stand in the kitchen. My answer was that the kitchen was air conditioned and the garage was not! Today if you visit me you will find a set of seat springs under the bed in 1 bedroom and a roll of top material under the bed in another. Oh... and there is a set of Model A brake drums on the kitchen counter.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on June 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

There are a couple of neighbors who have nothing better to do than check to see that everyone is doing everything by the book. The body is going to be a boat tailed affair. There are no rules specifically stating that I can't build a boat. So that will be built and painted on my covered rear deck. As far as turning the car, my living room and dining room are an open plan "L" shape. I will be picking up a set of the rollers that go under the tires, then I can slide the sofa over to the side and the car will be able to turn. I know it sounds like a pain, but I'm making the best out of my situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:11 am:

I've never been confronted with your situation, but I've always brought my freshly painted parts into the house to dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Bet you thought I was joking about the brake drums...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Paul - We really do believe you, especially now!!!! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

Two suggestions - both from painful experience:

One, make sure your creeper wheels turn and swivel properly. Oil them. You don't want to scratch that wood floor! In fact, a roll of "Contractor's Paper" from Home Depot, laid and joint-taped, will help protect it.

Two, get a plastic "deflector" for that floor vent, and install it so it sends the air up the window wall. The point is, to keep small dropped parts from rolling into the vent, which they will surely do if they can. And of course, it will not be a standard washer or nut, but will be the most unique and hard to duplicate part!

Dollies under the wheels are a great idea. Be sure to oil their casters as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Thought I posted this earlier, typed it out, must not have hit "Post."

I would be selling that place and moving to Montana, Wyoming, North or South Dakota or Nebraska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

I dunno, it won't let me post. Say error 500 or something like that.

Anyway, I would be putting that place up for sale and moving to Montana, Wyoming, North or South Dakota or Nebraska!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Now both posts showed up. I dunno. Back to the shop. I know how that works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Eric,

Before I married, I stored car parts in the oven and the kitchen cabinets. It was very easy to find the parts because they were in numbered boxes and I had a good index of what was in which box. I also rebuilt a 1931 Model A Ford engine in my bedroom/1 room apartment when I lived on an Air Force base and was single.

I love the story about the bachelor that wanted to purchase an airplane, rent a hanger for the airplane, and rent an apartment, but didn't have the resources for all three. So he set his priorities and purchased the airplane and rented the hanger to keep it out of the weather. Sometimes he would be seen early in the morning taking a shower at the airport wash rack with his bathing suit on although usually he just used the showers at the YMCA where he exercised.

But it can also be nice to be married. It is important to have some shared values and be supportive of each other. My wonderful wife has always supported our hobby. One of my fondest memories was in our second year of marriage. I was working on Faithful Fred a 1930 closed cab Model A Ford we had while we were in Iceland. We didn’t have a garage and I was on my back in the snow turning a wrench. And there looking down from the top side of the open hood with a smile on her face was my wonderful wife holding another wrench so we could tighten up the nut and bolt. [For any purist – you are correct if the engine splash pans had been installed I would not have been able to see her. But Faithful Fred was the daily driver and didn’t have engine splash pans.] She also drives the vulture wagon when we are doing some initial testing and we haven't proven for sure that the "fix" really is the "fix. She is a real blessing and keeper. And since she came into my life – the oven is now used for cooking food, the parts are no longer in the kitchen cabinets (there are some smaller parts in our closet) but I am very blessed to have not only a wonderful wife, but one that likes sharing old cars with me. So I wouldn’t rule out marriage – but I would recommend to anyone, be sure it is to the right person for the right reasons. And oh yes, you might want to finish the speedster before you get too serious, unless of course she has a garage that is available.

Good luck with your speedster. And you might want to suggest the community that they try an experiment to see if there is any interest in having an “auto work shop” say along the lines of the community room but for working on mechanical things. Cars, engines, book shelves etc. models etc. It might attract a new group of customers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

You may be a bachelor if you have ever washed car parts in the dish washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

How about if you park your harley in the living room during the winter so it dosent get lonely?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I'm with Stan on this one. Even Indiana would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Erik,you have a furnace in a different room and an exhaust fan over the stove. So that means you have an OSHA approved pain booth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

I meant PAINT booth but if the neighbors find out it might be a pain booth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

MAY be a bachelor? I'd definitely be one if I tried some of the stunts mentioned here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I would not live in a place where someone outside my home could tell me what I can or cannot do in my house, garage, or yard. I am respectful enough of my neighbors that I would not play loud music, or let my place turn into a dump, but beyond that what I do on my property is my business only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

I live in a development and there are restrictions. We do however have garages and wether the doors are up or down what goes on is my business. Since we're all just chimps that talk rules are necessary for everyone's benefit in places like this because people will try to break them if it suits them. Basically what Eric is doing. If a place like this doesn't suit you you're better off not moving in. If I had to do what he's doing I'd rent a garage but surely, (wifey or not) I'm not building a car in my living room. Not knockin' just sayin'. Good Luck to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

About 25 years ago i bought brass stock and made bearings on my lathe to redo my first excavator.I shurnk the bearings in the freezer 2 days and heated the housings in the Wifes oven to 450! After all these years,i do not bring it up!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Well if i could keep the room that clean my little lay would be ok with it
I had an aoartment once had a 10x12 yard i biulta speedster in that space had to tear down the fence get it out as the landlord had a cow in my bring it in pieces tgrough the place i told her it came in that way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 06:43 am:

A couple of winters ago when it was too cold to attempt to build up Ruckstell in the garage, I just turned the downstairs bedroom into "the axle shop" and the kitchen counted into the "starter and generator rebuilding shop". Now seriously, do you think a wife would have allowed that? Of course not, but my dog said it was OK with him. That largely explains why I am still single.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:56 am:

As Charlie Osgood said: "The only problem with common sense is that it is not all that common." If it makes logical sense, then DO IT! As a self-proclaimed 'Prince of Putz', I am sure my wonderful bride appreciates that my 'projects' are handled out in the shop. With a heated shop in the winter, there are opportunities to learn 'cross-training' skills which can be put to use with other projects.... I've even learned that if I make and sell horses, they can be converted into other 'horsepower'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Thanks for the tips and advice. Moving out of this place is in the cards, just not right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:45 am:

My wife and I have several car parts stashed through our current apartment. At one point there was a literal mound of parts for our '14 in the living room. She's all for it, she even buys some of the cars and parts! The landlord, well, he wasn't so enthused.... I say your idea is fantastic, have fun with the build! My wife and I would totally do that in our place if we could. As it sits now we have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to work on our old VW and our T.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration