Dave Huson, Hope Your OK after The Reported Tornado And Grapefruit Size Hail In Berthoud.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dave Huson, Hope Your OK after The Reported Tornado And Grapefruit Size Hail In Berthoud.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 09:55 am:

I can't even imagine grapefruit size hail and a tornado all at the same time. Hope all is well at your place after that severe weather onslaught.

Here's the NBC news clip.

" Hail the size of grapefruit, heavy rainfall, and multiple tornadoes caused damage and flooding across parts of the Rockies and Plains overnight into Friday, officials and meteorologists said.

Seven tornadoes were reported in Colorado and one in Kansas, according to the National Weather Service.

The worst hit was the town of Berthoud, Colorado, where up to 25 homes were affected, with more than 12 severely damaged. Trees were uprooted, but the Associated Press reported there were no injuries.

Don Grabosky, who lives just west of Berthoud, told NBC News that a tornado tore through his shed and destroyed his neighbor's home, but stopped short of his own house."

"You just wouldn't believe how many hailstones we had," he said. "And the continuous roar of the lightning and thunder. It was just awful."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Yes, Dave I hope you, your friends and loved ones and Ts are all okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Hope he is well - seems to be - he's posted already this AM...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/547274.html?1433513458

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Dave mentioned in an email to me that he's dealing with a flooded basement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:25 am:

Jay and all, Thanks. We had the worst rain, hail and wind storm I have ever seen but no tornado. Our electricity was out so our sump pump did not work and that helped cause the water in the basement. the sump pump is working now but water is still coming in the basement. We pretty well have every thing in the basement up above the water. I work on carburetors and speedometers in the basement but wont be able to for awhile. I will crank up one of my Ts and drive to town and get the latest information on what happened. I really appreciate the concern.
house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Good to know you're okay. I was wondering about you. Regards, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Dave, Sounds like it is time to invest in a decent generator. You don't need anything huge, but something in the neighborhood of 4KW with a transfer switch can sure make life more tolerable in events like you've experienced. One big storm 4 years ago taught me that lesson after knocking out the power for 8 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Kevin: I have been thinking about doing just that. But it will take more than that. I am going to dig a ditch above the house to divert some of the water. We live on a slight down hill and when it rains real hard some of the water drains down in our area.
You can see that the house is lower even than the shop.

house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Dave..just saw this news and glad you're okay with only a flooded basement. I agree with Kevin ..time for a good generator but get an AUTOMATIC one! I did 3 years ago and one of the best buys I've made! Lots of peace of mind. Power goes out...generator is running in 10 seconds! Take care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Speaking of a generator option, you might consider what I had installed.

I opted for a Generac 20kw natural gas unit rather than the conventional gas or diesel. If you have natural gas this eliminates the hauling storing and filling the fuel tank. They also come with a propane option. The best thing is no fuel to spoil due to storage or limited use.

Of course its all automatic with a transfer switch and it also has a trickle charger to keep the battery up on the ready.

I purchased mine at Home Depot at a very competitive price. It is in a run quiet sound proof container so you really don't hear it start up or while its on line.

My biggest irritation is the lag time between the power going off and the generator coming on line , about 20 seconds,I still have to reset all the digital clocks!

just saying'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

I have a 55kw, 35kw and 27kw here on our place and all 3 have adjustable time lags to start on the automatic transfer switches. One might initially think you would want a generator to start immediately on a power outage but with many storms the electricity flashes on and off just for a fraction of a second and if you do not have a time delay the units keeps initiating, running and turning off constantly though there is no appreciable outage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

I have a rope start, so-called 1800 Watt (peak power) that actually will not quite run a 1000 Watt microwave oven. When we get a outage of more than a few hours, I carry it out of the garage, drape a few extension cords around the house, and manually fire it up. It will run the refrigerator, or an electric blanket, as well as the TV and a couple drop lamps borrowed from the garage. And I am a happy camper. Cooking is then done on the propane barbecue on the covered deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Our power rarely goes off and rain seems even rarer. But it did go off once about 20 years ago right at dinner time.

We congratulated ourselves for having a gas stove and my wife proceeded to make spaghetti by flashlight and stove flame light.

The spaghetti had an amazing amount of zing to it. My son and I were able to eat it, but my wife wound up eating a bowl of cold cereal.

In the morning she took another look at the jar of "spaghetti sauce". The label said, "La Victoria Extra Hot Salsa".

Guess we need a better flashlight.

Dick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration