Chaffin's cams in the Montana 500

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Chaffin's cams in the Montana 500
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Thanks Glen for coming through with cams for us.

17 days until the Montana 500!

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Tell us MORE ! What type of engine are these designed for? Guessing not for a Centredoor that's used only on 4th Of July parades...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Hey Tom,

Would 0.310 lift be legal ? :-) :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

You can do anything to the camshaft as long as it fits in an unmodified block. So if you increase lift by grinding the heel, the camshaft is weaker.....
Lift over 0.280 usually needs the block to be modified to get it in. I wonder what Glen did?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, June 05, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

I talked to Bill Stipe about his .290 cam. Was told that the 290 should fit with out modifications. Have not personally tried a 290 cam....only walked the walk with the 280.

I do know for a fact.....happened to me! that some early blocks require having some material removed from underneath in order for the tappet to clear due to higher lift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

We monkeyed around with the cams after we got them from Glen. I won't say exactly what we've done, as we are still competing. These cams are for two motors that we are doing for Montana 500 guys. One is for an old timer and one is for a rookie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

It seems like removing material from the heel of the lobe and increasing valve stem length would help with the issue of modifying the block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Our 280 lift cam with a 0.810 base circle gives you the biggest lobes possible and just fits in a model t block without modifying it. This cam is designed to have both a good low end and a good high end for street use. Tom bought unground cam blanks and put a grind on for a better high end for the 500 race. From what we've seen the Stipe 290 cam is no better than the Stipe 280 cam so don't waste your money. The Stipe 280 is a good cam and is very close in performance to our 280 cam except for the low end. We are currently out of 280 cams but should have more soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Tom, I have 5 original racing cams for samples. Do not know who made them but they vary in lift from 0.280-0.300. I also have the valve timing characteristics. Could you send me the specs for your grind, or is that a secret?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Glen, I think i will keep the spec's under my hat for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Tom, I thought that's what you would say. Don't blame you. Just wanted to put it on my computer dyno. But I think I know what you did. I have checked all of my original racing cams and they pretty much all did the same thing. But thanks for the plug. It sounded as if you were using my cams for the race. A little advertising doesn't hurt. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

We are using your cams, just not your grind. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Tom, Hope you are happy. Good luck against Garrett Green. He and some of his Orange County buddies bought cams also. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Ed, There is no problem with a reground cam fitting in a Model T Motor as you are removing material. A new cam has to be designed so that the toe will go through the block cam holes without interference. 280 lift and a 0.810 base circle just fits. If you increase the lift you have to reduce the base circle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:46 am:

Yes Glen, they are very nice cams. I had them heat treated with an iron nitride process. They came back very hard with almost no distortion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Tom, We use Iron Nitride also. It is much better than the normal heat treat that warps the cams. God luck, hope you win. Glen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration