1925 Door strap location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 Door strap location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Can someone tell me or show pictures of the correct way and location to mount door straps on a 25 touring? Also what is the correct hardware? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/527927.html?1427242275

This might help a little.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Richard -- great photos at the posting. I believe they are actually the 1921 - to mid 1924 as I believe the touring body you showed had the narrow arm rests. They may have been used earlier -- but I believe the latches would change some time in there as you go earlier. I still have not been able to pin down exact date -- probably never will. For had so many times of overlap.

For Craig,

The late 1924 & 1925 cars went to more metal in the cowl area, had equal length hinges, slightly different striker plate for the latch, and a unique strap holder for the right front door. I don't know if the rear doors used one -- as it was created because the wood post was replaced with metal.

Below photos are from Larry Smith’s article on his 1925 pickup. Published in the “Vintage Ford” as well as Bruce’s (RIP) “Model T Comprehensive Encyclopedia.” (Thank you Larry! Great article and fun read. Do you know what they used on the rear door straps? )

Above compares the 1916ish to mid 1924ish striker plates. The one with only 2 holes is the mid 1924-1925. The other one goes back to 1916ish.

Photo below is from Model T Haven -- Thank you Mark for your support to our hobby. It shows the 1925 with equal length hinges.

And what those hinges mid-1924 to 1925 hinges look like is shown below:

Below is a 1923 low cowl touring but the lower hinge bracket sticks out on the 1915- mid-1924 touring (and runabouts).

Below is the shape of those 1915- mid-1924 style hinges (location of holes may have varied some over the years)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Good information Hap. I am glad to see a better answer. My doors did have the earlier hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

If needed,I have a couple of those door strap clips. Very hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

As I recall, the screw that holds that clamp on is a #12-24 Round Head Slotted screw. I used a black Navy belt for the job, available at most surplus stores. I got mine at the Navy Exchange.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration