1926-27 pedal holes and new shafts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926-27 pedal holes and new shafts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 06, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I am putting new shafts in a couple of 1926-27 pedals and I am finding that the holes in the new shafts are drilled on center but the holes in the pedals are not. I looked at one of the old shafts and you could see that it was off center. I have re-drilled one setup (low pedal) for an over sized rivet and will do the same to brake pedal. Bummer it's off by just enough that the correct rivet binds before going through.
What I am thinking is that the shaft was inserted in the pedal, put in a jig and the rivet hole drill in the assembled piece and maybe the jig was off a bit.
Has anyone else run into this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

I have replaced low speed shafts on 2 T's and found that the holes are not drilled in the correct location. This causes a problem with the high gear clutch operation. In one case the low band was compressed with the pedal below the floorboard, but when it was adjusted to compress one inch above the floorboard, the band was too tight and caused a drag when in neutral or high. The pedal needs to come back at least as far as the brake pedal in order to operate the clutch to get it into neutral. So You might need to re-drill your holes, but be sure to get them in the correct location.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Mark

Could be the pedal holes were factory off. Haven't experienced that before.

Have changed a few pedal shafts, '26-'27 and earlier and haven't had problem with new shafts.

Only issue once was new low speed notch, was drilled correctly for the rivet on only one side, the other side was way undersize, so had to ream the notch hole. Guess that one missed the final ream to size step.

New low speed notch with undersize rivet hole on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Dan, I just did this job and on the package for the slow speed notch it says "for ease of installation, only one pin mounting hole is drilled to size. Mount on shaft and drill through other side with a 1/4" drill bit".
Worked fine for me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration