Good looking 1912 touring on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Good looking 1912 touring on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I have no connection to this car. The engine serial number 112,XXX places it some time in mid January 1912. About the middle of the model year. I believe it would have had a two piece firewall originally. Looks like a great car, very similar to mine except built about a month later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Touring-/171816010557?forcerrptr=true&hash= item280108433d&item=171816010557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:35 am:

That's a lot of money but a great looking car. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for leaking oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

The late teens coilbox looks out of place. Other than that it looks great. From the creases in the top I would assume that it folds. I like that in a tourer. The price is up there but you could not do that type of restoration for anything like that money. It does depend on what has been done to the mechanicals though.

The step sided 1912 touring cars are my pick of the brass cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

The speedometer is missing but there is a hole in the floor that's a 1000.00 bucks the head cable and swivel joint. and has it got a DB crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

It could use the correct carburetor. Its not an H1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Royce-
I have seen step-bodied cars with the one-piece dash that were non-foredoor cars. There are not a lot of them. I wonder who the body maker was and what the body number is.

Nice car.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Fellows, with that engine number placing it as a 1912, is it correct to call this car a 1911 as advertised on ebay? Also it seems to be missing the horn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:29 am:

Bob,

The car was made 5 months into the 1912 model year. It was made no earlier than January 1912. It is a 1912 Model T.

This is common. Nearly all Model T's are identified as an earlier year model than they actually are because people have always associated older cars with perceived higher value. Thus every 1916 Model T has become a 1915 over the years, for example.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:32 am:

Fellows, with that engine number placing it as a 1912, is it correct to call this car a 1911 as advertised on ebay? Also it seems to be missing the horn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Okay, I'm gonna play "Devils Advocate" here, cause that number/January 1912 make me scratch my head, 'cause my '12 Commercial Roadster P/U is #90708 and in what I call "Bruce's Big Book" (soft cover) on pg. 506 of the Serial Numbers, it shows my engine in January 1912 in a group from 88,901 to 92,000.
What am I missing here?
I just looked at the Tbay ad again and zoomed in on the engine stamp, it says 113,290 anyway. Should make that a May 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Tim, that's what I see as well, so is it possible that the car as advertised as an 11, doesn't have the original engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Bob, you might have something there. It's hard to tell for sure, but it does look like one piece spindles,rear end looks to be '11, and as Royce and Keith mention, who knows about the firewall.
I wouldn't kick it out of my barn! Wonder what the reserve is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:13 am:

To me it seems unlikely there would still be an early 1911 body left over in the warehouse in May of 1912.

I have asked the seller who the body mfgr was and what the body number is.

It could be a reproduction or replacement body. I see no side curtain fasteners under the front opening.

It could be a 1911 car with a replacement engine and the closest that was found was a 1912 engine.

Here is an original photo of a car with a 1911 type body and a 1912 type windshield and one-piece dash, so it could have happened.

Most of the step-bodied 1912 cars are equipped with straight-top fore-doors.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Just seems like too much $ for a Model T and I LOVE my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:22 am:

looks like the one piece firewall might be OK for a late 11. it does have 2 piece spindles, but that seems OK per Bruce's big book. How do you know who the body maker was, is the name stamped somewhere with a number? I'm no expert, but sure seems like an 11 with a 12 engine. missing a bunch of little stuff to make it great (Horn, speedo,carb,coil box, proper throttle linkage at carb).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Hummm, just notice the hood hold-downs are brass 2 ear and according to THE book are supposed to be one ear forged steel & a 12 would have been 2 ear forged steel, so not much help on year identification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:44 am:

It might be a put-to-gther. I had chassis with engine 106xxx. I found a portion of a 1911 touring body. I sold it as a package to a restorer. When finished it looks like a twin to the one fort sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:48 am:

looks like it has a latch for a under seat trap door in the rear compartment. which would be on early '11 bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Tim Wrenn said:

"Okay, I'm gonna play "Devils Advocate" here, cause that number/January 1912 make me scratch my head, 'cause my '12 Commercial Roadster P/U is #90708 and in what I call "Bruce's Big Book" (soft cover) on pg. 506 of the Serial Numbers, it shows my engine in January 1912 in a group from 88,901 to 92,000.
What am I missing here?"

Tim,

I spoke to Bruce about this after I spent a lot of time at the Benson Ford Archives researching the Accounts Receivables shipping ledgers. The shipping ledgers were showing serial number ranges about 10,000 serial numbers to the left of the number that Bruce had in his book.

Bruce admitted to me that the numbers in his book came from a wild assed guess and nothing else.

From my research I know that Model T's with serial numbers around 92,000 were being shipped from Highland Park in early December 1911. By January, the serial number of cars being shipped was at 100,000. The actual shipping record data is how I can tell how early an engine could have been shipped from the factory.

That is what you are missing. It your car has engine number 90708 it was cast in mid November 1911. It would typically have been in a car within a week of being cast, and would have been out the factory door within two weeks of the casting date. Your car thus could not have shipped much earlier than December 1911.

If you want to send me an email there is a slight chance I might have a shipping record for your car because I got copies of a lot of records near the time my car 93622 was shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Okay Royce, will do. Thanks for the above info!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration