RUCKSTELL 40 TOOTH RING GEAR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: RUCKSTELL 40 TOOTH RING GEAR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 02:21 pm:

After living with the incorrect 39 tooth Ruckstell ring gears for the last 40 years we have decided to make the correct 40 tooth gears.The cutter is special and the gears will be about $300.00. but they will be very good quality and correct. We already manufacture the 12 and 13 tooth pinions both of which will work with the 40 tooth ring gear..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

Huzzah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Glen,

Thanks for all you folks do!

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Thanks Ted. We enjoy helping the hobby and our friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:42 am:

When will they be available, Glen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Hi Richard, Probably in about four months. We just put them into work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Glenn-
I have a 12 tooth pinion that I plan to (someday) put into the Ruckstell on my 1919 touring which currently has 3:1 gears.

I believe it have a 39 tooth ring gear.

For the 12 tooth pinion, should I use the 39 tooth, the 40 tooth, or does it really make a difference as long as it is the offset ring gear with the proper shims?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

I have a 12 tooth Chaffin Pinion and a 40 tooth original stepped ring gear (3.33:1) in my Ruckstell. We just went up to Hurricane Ridge (sea level to 5242 feet in 17 miles) and it performed well. I am quite happy with it.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:47 am:

That is a nice idea, because sometimes we don't need to buy a ring gear set. But my questions is, how does a Ruckstell ring gear differ from a standard Ford ring gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Larry, the Ruckstell 40 tooth and the 39 tooth ring gear from the 3:1 sets are both recessed in the back side to create space for larger 12 & 13 tooth pinions.

recessed ring gear
(Picture by Keith Townsend)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:25 am:

My question is still not answered. What does a 40 tooth Ruckstell ring gear look like? I've been using 40 tooth Ford ring gears in my Ruckstells all of my adult life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Larry, I thought you knew everything about the Model T. Look at the gear in the picture above. It has a recess in the back. The standard Fiord gear does not. The recess is to accomodate the Ruckstell pinion gear which is larger in diameter than the Ford. This is old news I am surprised that you didn't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Glen,

;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Ruckstell offered a 13/40 hi speed gear set. These are usually stamped "Ruckstell". At least the 13 tooth Ruckstell pinions were stamped this way. They are actually different from the 13 tooth pinion that Ford offered in their 13/39 hi speed gear set that most folks are familiar with and have been sold on the aftermarket for years.
I hope this helps clarify any confusion as to what the original offerings of the hi speed gear sets involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Dan, Ford did not offer a 13/39 tooth gear set. These were made by Mark Auto and all that have been available for years. That is why we are making the correct ratio gear set, so the customer has a choice. With the 13/39 set the same teeth are in mesh every revolution of the ring gear. With the 13/40 set the meshed teeth changes by one tooth every revolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 04:05 am:

A few questions:

Will a 10 tooth or 11 tooth pinion work with a Ruxstell 39 or 40 ring gear?

Can you use a Ruxstell 39 or 40 in a non-Ruxstell diff?

How did it come to be that the "incorrect" Ruxstell ring gear has been made for so may years rather than the correct to tooth one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:10 am:

Constantine,
The purpose of the recessed Ruckstell ring gear was to leave room for larger pinions, so you would have to shim the recess away to use a 10 or 11 tooth pinion = meaningless. Actually it's not recommended to shim ring gears since there have been incidents where shimmed ring gears has got the fastening screws sheared off. Small moves to adjust the ring to pinion play can be made with the thrust washers.

39 tooth ring gears weren't produced by or for Ruckstells, they were and are general Model T accessories available both back then and now.
The recessed 40 tooth ring gear made by Ruckstell or Chaffins can also be used in all Model T differentials.

There haven't been any "incorrect Ruckstell" gears made, there just haven't been some of the old accessory ratios available for either Ruckstells or std axles.

Ruckstells were available back in the old days with 13/40 gears, making a 3.08:1 ratio not as high as the 3:1 now commonly available. Chaffins makes a 12 tooth pinion making a 3.33:1 ratio again available, even more attractive for Ruckstell equipped cars with std engines - a 3:1 is too high for most T's without a high compression head or some other power upgrade.

(Message edited by Roger K on June 10, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:05 am:

Roger, thanks. We're so lucky with Ts and As that we have so many new parts at fair prices. Other old car owners have to fork out thousands to have gears cut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:35 am:

Since the gear set above is not a Ford item, I wasn't aware of it. Thanks for setting me straight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Constantine. The 9,10 and 11 tooth pinions are a smaller diameter and are used with the Ford 40 tooth Ring Gears. The 12 and 13 tooth pinions are a larger diameter and are only used with the recessed 39 and 40 teeth Ruckstell Ring Gears. Ruckstell never made a 39 tooth Ring Gear. All of those were made by Mr. Huber at Mark Auto. It is very difficult to get Mr. Huber to make any changes in his products. So that is why we are making the 40 tooth gears so they will be correct.I am not sure but it may be that Mark Auto's gear cutter can't cut a 40 tooth ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Glen-
What is the advantage of having a 13/40 instead of a 13/39 set up? Just having it one tooth off so the wear is even?

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Glen, Thanks for the info and for deciding to make a 40 tooth Ruxstell. Do you, or anyone you know, make or supply (or have plans to make) 9 tooth pinions for a Ford 40 tooth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Constantine, We do make a 9 tooth pinion. We made them especially for Ford Motor Company. They use them in their tour cars around Greenfield Village. They require a special cutter. P?N 2597B $275.00 ea. Keith,The only advantage is the preferable wear pattern and slightly lower gear ratio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Constantine, are you there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Glen, that's great news. You're a good man. I've just downloaded your catalog:

http://www.chaffinsgarage.com/catalog.pdf

It's on pdf page 17 of 163 (page 13).

I asked about these babies last year but nobody mentioned you had any. See:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/493247.html

How many do you have left? If not many, save one for me. I'll have a look at your catalog to see if I need anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Constantine, We have 10 left. Shouldn't be a problem unless Ford orders more. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holger T. Berthelsen on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Original Ruckstell 40 tooth Ring Gear.ruckstell ring gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:15 am:

I had a 4:1 gearing in my 13 runabout originally, could drive it up a tree, up a hill at speed, BUT it ran out of puff when pushed at 70 kph / 40 mph..... screamer would sum it up.
Good work Glen on remanufacturing the 40 tooth.
David.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration