Some more favorite tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Some more favorite tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I hated ruining both the hub bolt and the nut. Yes, you can buy new ones fairly cheap, but I have always liked to save the old stuff whenever I can. You can grind the mushroomed end off the bolts or split the nut. But you still have distorted threads. I bought a die and split it by grinding part way through and then breaking it so the jagged edge would align the two halves. Now I can place the halves around the good threads on the bolt and slide the die into the holder and back it over the distorted threads. With a little practice this makes it easy to save the threads. It would be more practical on bolts that there is no replacement for.

Another tool I found handy is an old brake drum lathe I found at a swap meet. (Cheap) I can spin round parts in it and hold scrapers, abrasive pads or sandpaper against them. It works especially well on wheel hubs and drums. It saves me a lot of hand sanding. I no longer can sand blast.

This contraption I have shown before. It is a front wheel hub driven by a motor through pulleys. I can clean most of the rust off a Non demountable rim it about 15 minutes. Demountables are a little tricky. Both this and the brake machine turn about 60 RPM's so you aren't likely to get tangled up in them.

Just some tools I have been using this week that have come in handy for me. Maybe there are some others we haven't seen.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration